Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Here's a link to a Johnathan Morrison YouTube demo of a Asus 31.5 4K display hooked up to a nMac Pro.

Even on a 31.5" display at full 4K resolution, text and the UI is way too small to be useful. But you can scale to the current iMac 27" 2560X1440 and if your graphics application can do it it will allow you to view the graphic window in full 4K at the same time.

Games? I'm not sure how that will work but probably something similar.

I've got a feeling that a 4 or 5K iMac will be a separate product and not the new standard large screen iMac. $$$. Who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUvphmy0v2k

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010
it just means they quadruple the sharpness of stuff. u see it with text. and very high res pictures (not really on the web tho). you will have to sit extremely close to the imac to see a benefit cause u cant see individual pixels on a current 27" imac after 80cm (31,6"). and if they double it then the distance is halved.

imo it's completely pointless and overkill for the 27" imac. the 21" imac has the least pixel density of all macs so it would make a lot more sense there.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
it just means they quadruple the sharpness of stuff. u see it with text. and very high res pictures (not really on the web tho). you will have to sit extremely close to the imac to see a benefit cause u cant see individual pixels on a current 27" imac after 80cm (31,6"). and if they double it then the distance is halved.

imo it's completely pointless and overkill for the 27" imac. the 21" imac has the least pixel density of all macs so it would make a lot more sense there.

What? The PPI difference between the 21.5 and 27 are negligible. It's a few PPI.

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
It looks like you didn't check out the video.

The rumored iMac isn't 4k, it is claimed to be 5120x2880 (or 4x 1440p), so it wouldn't even scale to 4k resolution, it would scale to 1440p. Images up to 5120x2880 would fit on the screen, and text/webpages would be scaled up. It would work the same way as any other "retina" Apple product. You could change the scaling if you wanted more real estate, but it would default to 1440p, but it would just look crisper. These are just rumors, so we will see what actually comes on Thursday, but it is more likely we will see a 2880p monitor than a 2160p monitor based on what Apple has done in the past.

Matt

Edit: And yes, I watched the video. Don't believe everything you see.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
For me absolutely nothing, there no ultra hd movies on iTunes that will take advantage of that res or games to play. Maybe Apple will address this in the future and with rumours of hd music there could be speaker changes to. That said the time being my 2013 iMac is running like a dream.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I personally think they will divide the iMac into 2 categories IF the 5K imac comes tomorrow. It will be just like when they released the MacBook Pro with retina, it came as a second product line at first, probably because of cost, so its an optional add-on.

So, tomorrow I suspect we get no regular iMac updates, but a brand new line of iMac Retina or iMac HD or iMac Pro. ...Or even Mac Retina (since apple seems to strafe away from using the "i" lately).

What I really hope for, is a brand new 3d printed apple logo in front that has state of the art chamfered edges. A new keyboard that does nothing else than looking more sexy than the current. And that apple finally get rid of the bulging center backside of the current iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.