What a difference the 8 gig ram makes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lukester, May 25, 2012.

1. lukester macrumors 6502

I was always having problems with my Mac bogging down.. red spinning ball, wanting for things to happen,, now with the 8 gig things are happening very quick. I did not realize ram was so cheap. Best $45 I have spent

Now I may go for that 750 gig 7200rpm Hybrid seagate drive. smoking then

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Get a SSD and optibay.
    now you're really smoking.

3. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Oh **** yeah if only I could afford it:(

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

8 gb on my 2010 MBP definitely improved its performance. The SSD didn't hurt either ;)

5. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

I was surprised that RAM alone improved your performance,until you mentioned the SSD:D

6. Bazzy macrumors regular

Hi All,

I recently got the current 17" UMBP with the standard 4GB Ram. It is surprising how much RAM gets used up even with only a single app running - I noticed last night while just on Safari that only 1.34GB was left! I think I might also upgrade to 8GB!

Bazzy!

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Free ram is wasted ram. Unlike windows, OSX does a great job at managing ram.

Instead of looking at free ram, look at page ins. That is ram pages swapped out to disk being read back in. That means there's not enough available ram to store those pages and OSX has to store them on the relatively slow disk.

High page-ins and/or If page-outs exceed page-ins, you definitely don't have enough RAM.

Here's a link that explains it better then my feeble attempts http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1342?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

8. Bear macrumors G3

Actually page ins are fine because they also happen during the initial startup of a program. It's mostly page outs and more importantly page outs per second that matter. On my iMac with 8GB or ram, I have 2.25 GB of page ins and only 2.1MB of page outs over a period of 3 days.

Swap space used is a secondary measure, with 4GB of ram, I had usually 1 to 2 GB or swap in use and constant paging. So for my system and current use 8GB is fine.

9. schaibaa macrumors newbie

Rubbish. If either OS has an advantage it's definitely on the windows side. It really doesn't have much to do with the OS in the first place, but as a software engineer, my PC (and software) tends to manage memory better than my macbook pro.

10. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

What a nonsense. Windows has a much more sophisticated approach to RAM management. OSX is definitely poorer. OSX is only slightly ahead of Windows XP quality RAM management.

I doubt those numbers. With only 2.25GB page ins you'd use about a fourth of your RAM. In three days no way. What would be the point of 8GB RAM with those page ins.

@op
    open terminal and type
    vm_stat
    uptime
    post the result
    or at least the swap, uptime, page outs and page ins for comparison.

I got 215GB page ins. 10GB page outs and 6GB swap but that is mostly unused cache, it is hardly ever swapped back. That is 15 days uptime but still 2.25GB wouldn't be enough for 3 days even with very little usage that seems odd.

11. shanimal macrumors member

SSDs are getting pretty cheap now. I say a sale going for the Samsung 830 256gb for $250. Its DEFINITELY worth the money, IEO (In Everyones Opinion:))
    Ram wont do anything for you unless you use it, but it is a very cheap upgrade. I couldnt imagine going back to a HDD after getting the Crucial M4.

12. Kieren Harrold macrumors newbie

Kieren Harrold

I saw a significant difference when i updated my early 2011 MBP to 8GB of RAM.

4GB and Lion was a pretty bad experience for me, constant page outs and beach balls. I wasn't doing any thing demanding, just had Xcode, mail, 5-6 chrome tabs open and some basic photoshop.

Even with 8GB i sometimes encounter large page outs.

13. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Ahh but you see I am a student and I am building a gaming rig at the end of the year which is why I basically can't afford anything!

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The 750GB hybrid drive should be a good upgrade.

It'll give some of the benefits of an SSD: good boot performance, and pretty good random access performance, without having to pay a ton for the capacity (not to mention there really isn't a 750GB SSD in 2.5" form).

15. cherishzm macrumors regular

I have a 2011 MBA13 i5 runnig Lion with only 4GB RAM and I don't have any beach ball issue mentioned above. I run W7 Ultimate via Parallels 50% Of time. 8GB will be great but 4GB works fine for me.

What do y