what a great keyboard!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by coocooforcocoap, Oct 24, 2007.

1. coocooforcocoap macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

my wife just returned from bkk with a gift for me, the apple keyboard (wired usb) for my new macbook pro thats sitting on the icurve. wow, what a great keyboard, the best i have ever used. i was using an old chinese ibm and it makes such a difference having all the keys in the right place. the packaging was even beautiful - ya don't even want to throw away the wrapper! perfect match, well done :apple:

2. Jdot macrumors member

My favorite part is that your fingers seem to just glide across the board making it very easy to gain typing speed.

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

The reaction to this keyboard has been (generally) fantastic. I have one myself, and I love it. It's kind of weird considering flat keyboards have been around for ages (on laptops), I have no idea why they never made it to the mainstream desktop market before.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I like the spaces between the keys. It makes it easier not to push the wrong key. For somebody who has trouble typing, this keyboard is truly amazing. I love it too.

5. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I sent mine back because:

a) the F keys are remapped and this confuses me when I am out with my MacBook...

b) the USB ports can't be used (MacBook)

c) Will get wireless version at a later date

6. 119576 Guest

I get confused sometimes with the F key mapping, but I got used to it after about three times using it.

Overall it's an amazing keyboard and I agree that the key spacing is absolutely perfect.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I also think its a great keyboard. It feels wierd when I have to use a PC keyboard now.

8. Flobber88 macrumors regular

Love mine and works great with MBP + elevator

9. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Best keyboard I've ever used, and I was very skeptical when I was buying it.

10. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I just did a few speed tests (did five, threw out highest and lowest, average of remaining three, rounded to nearest 5, margin was less than 5 WPM):

MacBook Pro internal keyboard: 90 WPM
    old Apple Wireless Keyboard: 95 WPM
    new Apple Wireless Keyboard: 120 WPM

What an incredible improvement! I haven't had a 100 WPM+ typing rate since college! (Heck, my brain can't even keep up with 100+ WPM, I can only do that when copying from a written page.)

I know my 10-key speed has gone down the toilet though. At least the MBP had an "integrated keypad", now I'm back to 'hunt-and-peck'ing my numbers. (I never did get good at touch-typing numbers on the top row.)

11. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I love it too but my USB ports aren't working correctly. The only thing I can get to work in them is the mouse. If I plug anything else in (camera, USB port, iPod) i get the message stating there isn't enough power. This is crap because the day after I bought it I connected my camera to it and it worked fine. I'd really hate to have to return it but I don't want a $50 keyboard that isn't going to work right.

12. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

^^^

This might have more to do with how much juice your camera had. Was it fully charged the first time you did it?

13. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Apple only says that the keyboard can provide enough power for devices that charge through USB if plugged directly into a new (Aluminum & Glass) iMac. They say that when connected to other computers, you should not use devices that draw more than 100 mA.

14. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

i hate the fact that i have to hold the fn key to use F8 F9.... in windows for 3D modeling.

15. jstad macrumors regular

jstad

My only gripe with the new keyboard is that they moved the exposé and dashboard hotkeys to F3 - F4, when every other mac has them at the end of the keyboard. Very frusterating!!!

16. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Aha, you noob. I can type 267 WPM ;) As amazing of an accomplishment as this is for my non-computer oriented life goals, I'm going to have to ask that the autographs and sex be kept to a minimum. :p

17. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

heh. Back in school, a friend of mine could out-type a 2400-baud modem. (I assume he was technically overflowing the buffer of the communications program, as I really doubt he was honestly capable of typing faster than 300 characters per second (at an average of 5 characters per word, that would be 3600 words per minute.)) The fastest he ever clocked using a real typing test program was about 250 wpm. What was amazing was that his spelling was spot-on-perfect while typing, but handwritten, he misspelled all the time.

18. coocooforcocoap thread starter macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

hi thanks all for the great response to this thread. while i can't type faster then a modem, i think i can type faster on this board then any other i have ever used. it's so smooth and natural. no idea why...maybe key response time or travel or something...another thing i really like about this kb is that my ancient ipod shuffle really fits nicely in the slot and looks pretty cool.

i also noticed the power thing...it wont support a harddrive even if powered...but it works with a small canon camera that i have. go figure.

19. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

It was. Plus it's not working with my USB flash drive either.