what a great keyboard!

coocooforcocoap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
kathmandu, nepal
my wife just returned from bkk with a gift for me, the apple keyboard (wired usb) for my new macbook pro thats sitting on the icurve. wow, what a great keyboard, the best i have ever used. i was using an old chinese ibm and it makes such a difference having all the keys in the right place. the packaging was even beautiful - ya don't even want to throw away the wrapper! perfect match, well done :apple:

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
The reaction to this keyboard has been (generally) fantastic. I have one myself, and I love it. It's kind of weird considering flat keyboards have been around for ages (on laptops), I have no idea why they never made it to the mainstream desktop market before.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I like the spaces between the keys. It makes it easier not to push the wrong key. For somebody who has trouble typing, this keyboard is truly amazing. I love it too.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I sent mine back because:

a) the F keys are remapped and this confuses me when I am out with my MacBook...

b) the USB ports can't be used (MacBook)

c) Will get wireless version at a later date

Aug 6, 2007
I get confused sometimes with the F key mapping, but I got used to it after about three times using it.

Overall it's an amazing keyboard and I agree that the key spacing is absolutely perfect.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
My favorite part is that your fingers seem to just glide across the board making it very easy to gain typing speed.
I just did a few speed tests (did five, threw out highest and lowest, average of remaining three, rounded to nearest 5, margin was less than 5 WPM):

MacBook Pro internal keyboard: 90 WPM
old Apple Wireless Keyboard: 95 WPM
new Apple Wireless Keyboard: 120 WPM

What an incredible improvement! I haven't had a 100 WPM+ typing rate since college! (Heck, my brain can't even keep up with 100+ WPM, I can only do that when copying from a written page.)

I know my 10-key speed has gone down the toilet though. At least the MBP had an "integrated keypad", now I'm back to 'hunt-and-peck'ing my numbers. (I never did get good at touch-typing numbers on the top row.)

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
I love it too but my USB ports aren't working correctly. The only thing I can get to work in them is the mouse. If I plug anything else in (camera, USB port, iPod) i get the message stating there isn't enough power. This is crap because the day after I bought it I connected my camera to it and it worked fine. I'd really hate to have to return it but I don't want a $50 keyboard that isn't going to work right.

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
^^^

This might have more to do with how much juice your camera had. Was it fully charged the first time you did it?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Apple only says that the keyboard can provide enough power for devices that charge through USB if plugged directly into a new (Aluminum & Glass) iMac. They say that when connected to other computers, you should not use devices that draw more than 100 mA.

jstad

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2007
My only gripe with the new keyboard is that they moved the exposé and dashboard hotkeys to F3 - F4, when every other mac has them at the end of the keyboard. Very frusterating!!!

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
I just did a few speed tests (did five, threw out highest and lowest, average of remaining three, rounded to nearest 5, margin was less than 5 WPM):

MacBook Pro internal keyboard: 90 WPM
old Apple Wireless Keyboard: 95 WPM
new Apple Wireless Keyboard: 120 WPM

What an incredible improvement! I haven't had a 100 WPM+ typing rate since college! (Heck, my brain can't even keep up with 100+ WPM, I can only do that when copying from a written page.)

I know my 10-key speed has gone down the toilet though. At least the MBP had an "integrated keypad", now I'm back to 'hunt-and-peck'ing my numbers. (I never did get good at touch-typing numbers on the top row.)
Aha, you noob. I can type 267 WPM ;) As amazing of an accomplishment as this is for my non-computer oriented life goals, I'm going to have to ask that the autographs and sex be kept to a minimum. :p

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Aha, you noob. I can type 267 WPM ;) As amazing of an accomplishment as this is for my non-computer oriented life goals, I'm going to have to ask that the autographs and sex be kept to a minimum. :p
heh. Back in school, a friend of mine could out-type a 2400-baud modem. (I assume he was technically overflowing the buffer of the communications program, as I really doubt he was honestly capable of typing faster than 300 characters per second (at an average of 5 characters per word, that would be 3600 words per minute.)) The fastest he ever clocked using a real typing test program was about 250 wpm. What was amazing was that his spelling was spot-on-perfect while typing, but handwritten, he misspelled all the time.

coocooforcocoap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
kathmandu, nepal
hi thanks all for the great response to this thread. while i can't type faster then a modem, i think i can type faster on this board then any other i have ever used. it's so smooth and natural. no idea why...maybe key response time or travel or something...another thing i really like about this kb is that my ancient ipod shuffle really fits nicely in the slot and looks pretty cool.

i also noticed the power thing...it wont support a harddrive even if powered...but it works with a small canon camera that i have. go figure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.