what a jerk...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by drater, Jul 29, 2007.

1. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Eh, what's wrong with that? Think about how many people are out there who flock to Apple, in particular, because they are technology-averse. Sure, you and I can deal with MAC filtering, WPA2, and firewall ports like we were counting ones and twos. But even on this forum, which has a much higher rate of knowledgeability than the Mac or PC community at large, many people do not have the technical skills, or more particularly, the comfort, to use the current tools available for this purpose.

This person isn't charging ridiculous rates. He/she is not going to become a millionaire doing this. And he/she isn't promising anything magical that is not actually possible or available.

I say, good for her/him. Why not?

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

that actually sounds like a good idea. i wouldn't use it myself, but for those interested it sounds like an ok deal. as he said, Apple does not offer such a service yet for ringtones.

capitalism at its best.

4. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sounds okay to me. Why not if someone is willing to pay for the service because they do not want the hassle of doing it themselves?

6. calculus Guest

calculus

I think that's perfectly fine, it's a service that some people will want - they may not have the time or know-how to do it themselves.

You can even get people to load your iPod for you...

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah I think this is a fine idea and he's not a jerk at all.

8. loudestnoise macrumors 6502

loudestnoise

The free market has created a need for a service that involves customizing ones iPhone and this fine person is meeting that need. Just for some $$, like others have said, nothing wrong with that.

9. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I do see your point, drater. He probably is using software that someone else developed and he got for free - it's obviously a simple task for
    lots of freeware apps to accomplish. Do you think he will donate to
    the developer?! NOT!:rolleyes:

10. semperfimarine2 macrumors regular

semperfimarine2

he better hope he doesn't brick the customers iPhone, cause then i smell a lawsuit

11. [G5]Hydra macrumors regular

Well not to mention the fact that when the first iPhone update comes out it might undo all the stuff he did. He will be in real hot water if that causes it to brick an iPhone or even if someone needs to have their iPhone serviced and Apple tells customers their warranty is voided etc.

12. semperfimarine2 macrumors regular

semperfimarine2

hopefully the customers are smart, and actually think before paying the guy

13. carman63 macrumors regular

I can only compare this to the garage mechanic that can re-program your car's control unit to change certain factory settings, such as using the remote keyfob to roll down windows. Anyone with the knowledge and know-how (and tools) can do it, but most folks want the security that if something goes wrong, they have a person they can turn to - or blame - for the issue.

That being said, if there's a market for this kind of thing, then people will step up to cater to the market. There are lots of folks willing to unlock subsidy-locked GSM phones, for a price. What makes this any different?

I can't speak to the legality of profiting off of freeware / open source software. But I'd think that there are lots of businesses using free / open source software to turn a profit. Companies that use OpenOffice to handle their document needs, or run Linux on their servers, etc...

14. rabbittpro macrumors newbie

15. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

$5? It takes a few minutes to accomplish this, he's not making very much for his time. Possibly under minimum wage.

16. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Don't get what all the fuss is about. He's offering a service, one that Apple isn't yet.

17. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

The guys not a jerk, he is helping out those who have no clue how to do this stuff.

Sure it might be simple for a lot of people on this board to do, but not for the general public.

18. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I hope this guy can give me an iPhone that is not on Cingular's network... then he can have my money for sure.

19. badtzmaru macrumors 6502

the guy's not marketing shareware or a program that's available freely. He's marketing a service for people who are too afraid to tinker with the iphone or for people who don't want to. or for the clueless.

20. techster82 macrumors member

Capitalism is a wonderful thing. If you can't appreciate it then thats your problem.

21. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

22. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

yea, how is what hes doing any different then somebody going to Geek Squad and asking for in home networking or an Apple's Genius Bar workshop training

23. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Now if someone would just make a service where they hack your :apple:TV for you.

24. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

At first I thought the thread was titled "will it jerk" as you found someone trying to jerk an iPhone like it was jerky.

but, anything to make a buck, Iit sure bets selling college sesx slaves on criagslist

25. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Hope he has extra cash on hand. Because if he bricks any phones, he had better buy them a new one.