Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Eh, what's wrong with that? Think about how many people are out there who flock to Apple, in particular, because they are technology-averse. Sure, you and I can deal with MAC filtering, WPA2, and firewall ports like we were counting ones and twos. But even on this forum, which has a much higher rate of knowledgeability than the Mac or PC community at large, many people do not have the technical skills, or more particularly, the comfort, to use the current tools available for this purpose.

This person isn't charging ridiculous rates. He/she is not going to become a millionaire doing this. And he/she isn't promising anything magical that is not actually possible or available.

I say, good for her/him. Why not?

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
that actually sounds like a good idea. i wouldn't use it myself, but for those interested it sounds like an ok deal. as he said, Apple does not offer such a service yet for ringtones.

capitalism at its best.

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
I think that's perfectly fine, it's a service that some people will want - they may not have the time or know-how to do it themselves.

You can even get people to load your iPod for you...

loudestnoise

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Nashville, TN
The free market has created a need for a service that involves customizing ones iPhone and this fine person is meeting that need. Just for some $$, like others have said, nothing wrong with that.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I can't believe this guy is doing this. I'm sure the program he is using was free...

I wonder who he's making money off of.
I do see your point, drater. He probably is using software that someone else developed and he got for free - it's obviously a simple task for
lots of freeware apps to accomplish. Do you think he will donate to
the developer?! NOT!:rolleyes:

[G5]Hydra

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2004
he better hope he doesn't brick the customers iPhone, cause then i smell a lawsuit

Well not to mention the fact that when the first iPhone update comes out it might undo all the stuff he did. He will be in real hot water if that causes it to brick an iPhone or even if someone needs to have their iPhone serviced and Apple tells customers their warranty is voided etc.

semperfimarine2

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2007
Austin Texas
[G5]Hydra;3977501 said:
Well not to mention the fact that when the first iPhone update comes out it might undo all the stuff he did. He will be in real hot water if that causes it to brick an iPhone or even if someone needs to have their iPhone serviced and Apple tells customers their warranty is voided etc.

hopefully the customers are smart, and actually think before paying the guy

carman63

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
I can only compare this to the garage mechanic that can re-program your car's control unit to change certain factory settings, such as using the remote keyfob to roll down windows. Anyone with the knowledge and know-how (and tools) can do it, but most folks want the security that if something goes wrong, they have a person they can turn to - or blame - for the issue.

That being said, if there's a market for this kind of thing, then people will step up to cater to the market. There are lots of folks willing to unlock subsidy-locked GSM phones, for a price. What makes this any different?

I can't speak to the legality of profiting off of freeware / open source software. But I'd think that there are lots of businesses using free / open source software to turn a profit. Companies that use OpenOffice to handle their document needs, or run Linux on their servers, etc...

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
The guys not a jerk, he is helping out those who have no clue how to do this stuff.

Sure it might be simple for a lot of people on this board to do, but not for the general public.

badtzmaru

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
the guy's not marketing shareware or a program that's available freely. He's marketing a service for people who are too afraid to tinker with the iphone or for people who don't want to. or for the clueless.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
At first I thought the thread was titled "will it jerk" as you found someone trying to jerk an iPhone like it was jerky.

but, anything to make a buck, Iit sure bets selling college sesx slaves on criagslist

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.