What a mess is iOS 8!

colonel179

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2014
I've been trying all day to enable SMS relay and it doesn't work! I've tried everything every single post has said and I still don't get the pop up with the code to activate it.

I signed out, signed in, choose iCloud email, restart phone, restart Mac, etc and still can't get the code!

Nothing works with Apple anymore! I hate that they just release unfinished and incomplete software. I can bet you one million dollars that they started offering OS X for free, because they knew their software is ****

Solver

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Did you make sure you checked both the phone # and Email address to receive iMessages on both devices?
It did not work for me until I also checked the iMessage phone # preference on my Mac.

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
Did you make sure you checked both the phone # and Email address to receive iMessages on both devices?
This worked for me. I tried to get this feature working SO MANY times with 8.1 Beta2 with my iphone and ipad. I don't know if checking my email address would have made it work for the beta but it worked right away yesterday when someone suggested it on another thread after I upgraded to standard 8.1 release.

It would be nice if Apple gave clear instructions on how to use their features... :(

Oh and I'll add that I tried several times with 8.1 with only my phone number checked and it didn't work. So Apple should really state that you have to select the email address also or fix whatever issue if only the phone number really needs to be checked.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I've been trying all day to enable SMS relay and it doesn't work! I've tried everything every single post has said and I still don't get the pop up with the code to activate it.

I signed out, signed in, choose iCloud email, restart phone, restart Mac, etc and still can't get the code!

Nothing works with Apple anymore! I hate that they just release unfinished and incomplete software. I can bet you one million dollars that they started offering OS X for free, because they knew their software is ****
You have 1 problem... How does nothing work?

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Works fine here. Make sure you go to Settings>Messages>Text Message Forwarding on your iPhone and and toggle on the devices you want to use.

Solver

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
USA
This worked for me. I tried to get this feature working SO MANY times with 8.1 Beta2 with my iphone and ipad. I don't know if checking my email address would have made it work for the beta but it worked right away yesterday when someone suggested it on another thread after I upgraded to standard 8.1 release.

It would be nice if Apple gave clear instructions on how to use their features... :(

Oh and I'll add that I tried several times with 8.1 with only my phone number checked and it didn't work. So Apple should really state that you have to select the email address also or fix whatever issue if only the phone number really needs to be checked.
Apple is missing that important check here,
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6337

The default is that all addresses are checked. But, I had changed that a couple of months ago for some reason.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Isn't a bit harsh to call iOS 8 a mess because you haven't been able to get 1 feature to work?