What about a 13" MacBook Pro, Without Opt Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ding, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Ding macrumors newbie

OK, here we go with my first post on this forum.

I have been hopping for a sub Macbook from Apple for years. Yes, now we have the Air. But it is not quite what I had hoped. Yes, the supper slim design was atractive, but it really looks like a toy, not a tool.

But some of the Air's design philosophy is quite interesting. To me, the optical drive is not necessary, since I don't even remember when was the last time I used the DVD drive on the PowerBook.

So, what about a MacBook Pro without the Optical Drive, keeping everything there are on the 15-inch model. At the same thickness, 1", it should be possible to pack a 13" display with even smaller footprint, say roughly the A4 size.

Of course, it could share the DVD drive for the Air if one requires.

So what do you think?

2. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

sounds pointless (sorry)
    we all have specific wants or likes, but i cant see how this would achieve a mass audience.

3. heads up macrumors member

heads up

i have to disagree. look at how well the 12" powerbooks did. this idea of having a 13" macbook pro is no different.

4. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

This topic comes up all the time. The consensus here is that there would be a huge demand for 13" MBP, but it will never happen.

Personally, I think there is still a chance of it, since the MBA so clearly gave up on power features. Apple could still create a high powered 13" portable that would be clearly different from the MBA, as well as the MacBook. Apple would have three different 13" portables—the cheap one, the thin one, and the powerful one.

But I guess I have to agree it's unlikely to happen. Too bad, because lots of people would like them.

On another note, I think it'd be great if ALL their portables (or at least all the Pro models) had the optical drive optional, with an SSD or second HD replacing it for those who opted out. That probably won't happen either.

5. esd macrumors member

I'd have bought one for sure. I put off buying a MBP for a long time because I'd prefer something smaller, but I didn't want to compromise on speed, memory, graphics, etc.

I might even go for a 12" MBP if it were offered. Especially if they cranked up the resolution.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Apple's focusing more on consumer items these days. The MBA, iPhone, iPod touch, etc. are things designed for the Next Big Thing crowd. I don't think we're going to see a 13" MBP any time soon.

7. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

12 inch

I think its a great idea and even go smaller, 12 inch. I dont need widescreen in my ultraportable...

8. Screwball macrumors regular

Some of you guys sound as though an upcoming release of another Mac notebook was around the corner...LOL

9. bluetuned macrumors newbie

I would love a 13" MBP, but you can't lose the optical drive. It's no longer a genuinely 'pro' level product without it.

The Powerbook/Macbook Pro line has a huge following in the media related industries (I work in film post-production) and it's very necessary for most in that world. I'm burning discs and watching dvds on a daily basis.

I would love a MBP that was smaller than 15" but not at the expense of an optical drive.

10. gyumilly macrumors member

I would get a 13" (or 12") MBP. I was in fact waiting for one in MWSF08, but didn't happen. MBA is definitely not a MBP level.

11. djellison macrumors 68020

It used to be

12" iBook
    14" iBook
    12" PB
    15" PB
    17" PB

Now, it's

MBA
    MB
    MASSIVE GAP IN THE PRODUCT LINE THAT APPLE IS YET TO FILL
    15" MBP
    17" MBP

The MBA is NOT a 12" PB replacement, nor would anything without an Optical drive, a firewire port, a network port, a sensible sized HDD.

Every other laptop manufacturers is making small, fully equipped, powerful laptops with integrated graphics. Only Apple can't - and it's getting to be annoying.

Doug

12. Ding thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, let's face it. Apple was never good at electronics designs (I don't mean product design, they are awesome). THey could never made the air that thin without omitting so many components, and it's still "big" (volume wise).

So a 13" MBP is all I can hope for, it should provide enough space for the electronic except the optical drive. Hence not much investments on a new system design, apart from rearranging the components and a new shape of the battery to fill the left out space. I doubt that Apple could make it any smaller.

That reason I buy into Apple was because of the softwares.

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Here we go again with the myth that the 12" PB was a smaller version of the its "pro" siblings. Wrong. The 12" PB had a slower processor, far slower graphics card, no backlit keys, no FW 800, lower RAM capacity, no high-def screen option, smaller HD, and no PC card slot. The 12" PB was a glorified ibook in an aluminum casing, and that's ALL it was.

The reason there is no 12-13" MBP is because the macbook itself is closer in power and features to the MBP than the 12" PB ever was to its bigger siblings. There is no gap - or if there is, it's smaller than it ever was in the PPC days.

14. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Bravo! Well said my friend!

If people want a 13" MBP, apple should make an aluminum MB!

15. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

It isnt ANY pro that will achieve mass market... that is what the macbook is for. Price is the driving factor in mass market appeal... and it will always be that way