What about a "funny video" or "random image" posting thread?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by spinnerlys, Oct 17, 2010.

1. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Hi,

as some of you may have noticed, there are members posting videos or maybe even an image or three and creating its own thread for it. As those threads often have not that much replies (exceptions exist), what about a conglomerate of "funny videos" or "random images (gifs included)" like some other boards (AI, AN, TBBS ≠ Toronto Barber and Beauty Supply) I use to visit do have? Like with the "post your setup" or "welcome old members" threads, it might be okay to create one or two dedicated threads about such issues.
    Like a stumbleupon feature of MR, only with more cute animal pictures I hope.

Of course the images and videos should be PG-xy I guess, with a hint of NSFW if foul language or partial shoulder nudity is included though.
    And what about videos showing violence?
    And yes, Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain is R-rated.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

3. spinnerlys thread starter Guest

spinnerlys

Yeah, I know, but those are collections of what one has or what one wants, but not of what one came by by browsing the wild goo.

Or am I that thick in the skull right know and overlooked some kind of hint to go there and create one myself?

Anyway, I'm just more focused on the video part of my question, it might be suited okay for the Community Discussion sub-forum, but I'm rather unsure, as it is still a rare occasion (once or twice a day), that a new video appears.

Hmm, maybe it also has something to do with the ability to embed YT videos via the [yt] tag, which is disabled here , thus the constant clicking might defer posting.

WhyTF can I write and write without coming to an end?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yea, I once asked about embedding videos for the guides. It didn't really generate much discussion. I never follow the YouTube links people provide. Too much effort and generally disappointed by the stuff that people link to.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The forum rules don't prohibit threads for photos or video links but one issue does come into play.

Past experience has shown us that a thread with a theme no more specific than "post something funny" can soon turn into a haven for overposting, with members (especially new members) making posts merely to build post count or post for the sake of posting, and not because other users will be interested in what they are posting. "Run-on" threads fill up Forum Spy and the New Posts display, an annoyance for other users, and can become what we call "write-only threads" (lots of posts not worth reading). They are therefore closed by policy.

Threads on a more specific topic generally don't cause these problems, even if their theme isn't particularly compelling, e.g., "post a photo of the inside of your school locker". Threads that have something to do with Apple and its products and customers are likely to be of more interest, although "post a photo of your power cord" is bound to get low ratings!

6. spinnerlys thread starter Guest

spinnerlys

Thanks for the explanation, Doctor Q. Might have come to that conclusion myself in some years.