What about a "How-To/DIY" sub-forum under "Apple Hardware"?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Chase R, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Aren't all of the "how do I install a new HDD/RAM questions getting old?

I think a "How-To/DIY" sub-forum would be really cool. New threads could only be made if one was posting a guide.

I'd for sure be willing to contribute to that.

Just think of all the good tech that would be in there? RAM/HDD/SSD installations; OptiBays; RAID setups; tear-down and cleaning info; Mac Pro upgrades... the list goes on.

What the Mods think about this?

2. Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

OWC/Macsales and a few other users have excellent youtube walkthroughs for everything you mentioned, so do you think having a Sticky thread with links to these videos would be a good option?

A sub-forum would be pretty nice though, especially when in comes to individual user reviews/experiences on hardware upgrades, general cleaning and maintenance (which, as a MBP user, I find rather interesting, how other users keep their MBPs clean)

Pretty good idea, this!

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, there is Mac Guides sub-forum for guides already. I don't think a general DIY forum would be that useful. Mixing all Macs in one sub-forum would be a mess, I find it better that people who have experience with MBP upgrades stay in MBP forums and people who have experience with iMac upgrades stay in iMac forum.

Some people might use the new DIY forum but in most cases, newbies just post to e.g. MBP forum if their question is MBP related. Moving threads would just cause extra work to the hard-working mods. I just can't see what would the DIY forum offer over the current setup. What I've seen, admins don't like new sub-forums as it makes the site more unclear.

4. Chase R thread starter macrumors 65816

Chase R

I disagree. I think having all the install guides and what not in one location would be better than having them all in separate forums. A lot of them arent machine specific.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

One can already go and make an install guide. That's why there is the Guides section. Install guides, if something, are very machine specific. What is MBP user going to do with iMac SSD install guide? I bet nothing. Guides about what RAM or HD to buy already exist in the guides section.

In my opinion, DIY forum wouldn't offer anything over the current setup. Guides already exist and everyone with at least 5 posts is eligible to create or edit them, I think. There are plenty of great guides and threads in MR that can easily be found with MRoogle.

I just think it would end up being a dead forum relatively soon. In the end, there aren't that many install guides or stuff that could be put in that forum. New guides aren't made that often either. How would you keep it alive and interesting? That's what I'm wondering. There is no need to make 100 guides about how to replace the RAM in MBP.

It's not a bad suggestion but at least I don't see it happening. Maybe I'm missing something or maybe mods/admins have different opinions as this is just mine.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's been suggested multiple times before. Conclusion: it won't be a logical place to post a question about installing a hard drive in a Macbook Pro (MBP forum), a white iPhone chassis (iPhone forum), or RAM in an iMac (iMac forum).

7. Chase R thread starter macrumors 65816

Chase R

I think mods don't like it because there won't be as many new threads ;)

And to those that say the sub-forum would die: there is new Apple hardware coming out every few months that people are going to be disassembling and upgrading. Just a thought.

And if you're so against ANOTHER forum being added, why do you guys loathe stickies so much? Most forums have stickies in each sub-forum that link to past threads (for DIY/How-to type stuff), and they are really quite helpful and informative.

8. iowamensan macrumors 6502

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why wouldn't there be as many new threads? People don't search as it is.

New revisions maybe, but the hardware usually isn't that different.

Nobody reads them. Imagine if people read this one.