What about a mouse?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by richpjr, Jan 31, 2010.

1. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I haven't anything about mouse support in an iPad. We know about the dock-keyboard and bluetooth keyboard support - will it support a mouse as well? If it's docked and you are typing, it would be real inconvenient to have to use the touchscreen to click on things.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Get used to not using the word "click". It is a multi-touch device.

3. richpjr thread starter macrumors 68030

richpjr

I realize it's a multi-touch device. That doesn't mean it wouldn't occasionally be useful to use a mouse with it.

4. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

The way the dock connects to the iPad, I'm fairly certain it won't be all that inconvenient to move your hand a couple of inches to tap the screen. No more so then moving it a couple of inches to mouse.

5. richpjr thread starter macrumors 68030

richpjr

Unless one was sitting further back using a bluetooth keyboard, as I most would likely do. I guess time will tell. It's not a huge deal either way to me.

6. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

I'd be inclined to say that it's not going to happen. Not because I think it wouldn't be nice to have on occasion, but because I think it's inconsistent with Apple's vision. I suppose someone will jailbreak it or develop an app that communicates with a BT mouse, but we won't see an official Apple solution.

7. jeznav macrumors 6502

Then you have to worry developers about supporting mouse pointers.

8. jaykk macrumors 6502a

can iPhone/iPod Touch can act as a input device. On desktop setup, with keyboard in place, we need mouse/touch input device next to our keyboard, right?

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

How far back can you sit using a 10-inch screen? I seriously don't think you'll miss a mouse on a multitouch screen. I don't think most people will use a keyboard, so supporting mice is probably just a waste of time when there are so many other features it could use in the future.

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

What if your fingers are greasy from burgers/fries? :eek:

I would rather get a keyboard and mouse dirty rather than a screen...

11. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

How about support for 2, 3, 4... 10 mice for that true multitouch experience? :)

Mouse support is not going to happen.

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Why on earth would you want mouse support on a touchscreen device? Does that not defeat the whole object? :rolleyes:

13. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

That's like asking for horse support on a car.

14. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

it has the same screen as the 3gs so it doesnt get dirty. just trust me, my 3gs still looks new while my 3g is, well, i cant even describe it.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Use the mouse that comes with the iPhone/iPod touch. Wait, what? :rolleyes:

16. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Congrats, you've discovered why a touchscreen iMac is a bad idea.

17. richpjr thread starter macrumors 68030

richpjr

Hang on now - if you use a Magic Mouse with it, you could get multi-touch with it!

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Uh, the entire OS is designed to not use a mouse.

Where would you use one? To click icons for apps?

19. richpjr thread starter macrumors 68030

richpjr

Not in the least. For the times you want to be mobile and light, you use the touch screen. For the times you need to sit down in a hotel room and bang out some emails or work on some Pages documents, you could use it as a mini-laptop. They are already supporting keyboards - how hard could it be to turn on a mouse cursor on when paired with a bluetooth mouse and handle single clicks or even multi-touch gestures with a Magic Mouse?

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Again, in what instance on this OS would a mouse even be useful?:confused:

21. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

Couldn't the OS just translate the apps normal touchscreen input to mouse input when you hook a mouse up to it?

I think that already happens when you use the iphone simulator on your mac. You can control the app with a mouse to test out your app. Although I'm not 100% sure about that since I'm not a programmer.

22. richpjr thread starter macrumors 68030

richpjr

Uhhh...to click on things without reaching towards the screen when it's sitting in the dock? I say this from experience - I have done a lot of work on embedded manufacturing systems with touchscreens and it can arm fatiguing to reach up towards a vertically mounted screen to click on things for a long period of time. Clearly this only applies when it is sitting in the dock - but that's the only time you'd likely use an external keyboard instead of the virtual one as well.

23. richpjr thread starter macrumors 68030

richpjr

I am a programmer and adding basic support for a mouse is technically trivial.

24. MTI macrumors 65816

If you have the need to run apps that require mouse inputs . . . you already know that there's a platform for that. Along with optical drives, usb/firewire, wired ethernet, audio in, DVI out . . . ;)