What about an iPhone that's been "activated?"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Naimfan, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I have an iPhone that I "activated" just to use as a iPod/wifi device. As that, it works perfectly. I'm now at the end of my Verizon contract, and am thinking I will get a free RAZR from AT&T, use it for a bit, and then activate the iPhone. Question--will it work? I have not updated the firmware--it is on 1.0.2--and have not "unlocked" it.

TIA!

2. b257177 macrumors regular

Sounds like an unlockable phone to me. ;)

3. Cyclotrode macrumors regular

Cyclotrode

Did you use the prepaid plan and then just cancel it? If so, you may want to put the SIM card in and have AT&T reactivate it and port your Verizon number over to it.

I'm not sure if that will work or not, but take it to AT&T and ask them to see what they say.

4. Naimfan thread starter macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I have yet to "activate" the iPhone as a phone--I used the iUnlock process to 'activate' it but haven't unlocked it. My question is if I will convert it to a "brick" if I update the firmware to 1.1.1 when I actually activate the phone's phone part. (I hope that makes sense!)

5. Cyclotrode macrumors regular

Cyclotrode

Gotcha...I wish I could help you on this, but since I didn't perform any unlocking or "activation" methods like that, I can't. Sorry :(

Hopefully someone will chime in and tell you what you need to do to get the phone back to its original state before you "activated" it.

6. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

I am actually in a similar situation and would really like the answer to this. I activated my iPhone using iNdependence, applied no other hacks/unlocks/modifications so I could use the iPDA functions. I then (a bit naively) updated to 1.1.1, essentially getting an un-activated iBrick. I still have the option of returning it (its within 14 days) but would like to just downgrade the firmware back to 1.0.2 . Will I be able to one day use it as a phone on AT&T and apply upgrades?