what about battery after jailbreak iphone 4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fastuning, Aug 2, 2010.

1. fastuning macrumors member

Hi, before make the jailbreaking i´m interested in read some opinions about the difference in the battery usage between jailbreak and non-jailbreak iphone 4.

2. RMXO macrumors 6502a

WinterBoard drains your battery. While you do get nice eye candy from using WB, but personally not worth it to me, IMHO. To each their own though.

3. parkp81 macrumors member

My battery is draining quicker after jailbreak. Maybe something is running that I can't see? I don't know. Even when not using "MyWi", I notice my battery drain quicker. MyWi is the only app I plan on using with jailbreak.

4. tanderson11 macrumors member

yep, draining about twice as fast as it normally would, for me at leats, and i only have a few things installed. sbsettings, rockapp, installous and thats about it.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Not sure what you guys are running but my battery life have improved, most due to SBsettings, my WIFi is off until i really need it (since it takes me just maybe 2 sec to activated, while before it was always on since i was to alzy to go to all the clicks).

I got wintertboard running too, but just for some customs sounds.

before JB i was getting home at night and my battery was at ~35% or so.. last 2 days have been over 50% bot nights, my usage haven't change.

6. tanderson11 macrumors member

well what the heck are you doing differently to make it be better! haha. my batter was awesome before i jailbroke it, now today is first full day i will go through with it jailbroken but ive already drained some batter just by using it for 5 minutes straight.

7. Trakis macrumors member

I thought mine would drain quicker after the JB but i'm pretty sure thats because after I Jailbroke the thing, I then used it nonstop like a man-man for a good hour. Then, when i stopped and put it in standby, it only dropped one percent overnight. And yes, winterboard drains the battery. If you really ARE having issues, then you probably want to restore and re-jailbreak and see if that helps.

8. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I had similar observations.

As far as I can tell after a couple days of paying attention to battery, I see no discernible difference unless you're using winterboard.

I even use lockinfo with a bunch of plugins and the battery time still seems fine. Like the quoted post, I notice very little drain overnight or whatever. I'm very happy with battery performance :D

9. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

My phone is draining at a faster rate too.

What I've installed so far:

SBSettings/Activator
    Mobile Terminal 426
    OpenSSH
    PrivaCy
    Springflash (flashlight).

10. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

JB seems to have had no effect so far on my battery life. Still very good.

11. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

If you have OpenSSH running, that'll certainly drain battery.

12. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

That's not true. OpenSSH is passive, it doesn't do anything until it gets a handshake connection. It ONLY uses battery when it's connected. But it's safe practice to turn it off I guess

13. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

Admittedly I've been away from the JB game a couple of years, but SSH used to always be the thing you turned off to save battery.......

14. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Yea when it first came out it did poll constantly and drain battery.

15. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Thanks, I already have that turned off. It seems the battery is draining fast but I can't deny that I've been checking Cydia every now and then as well as playing around with various settings.

I'm going to do a full charge overight and see how it goes tomorrow. I'll use it as I normally would without browsing Cydia or doing anything that would require a respring. That way I can get a better idea if it's really draining faster or just a result of recently changed usage.

16. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

The daemon is still listening, so it does drain a bit power compare to not running, but it is very little comprare to the original implementation

Edit: for the sake of the followings posts, daemon was originally spelled 'demon'

17. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

That's true but it's so small it's probably not measurable.

18. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I'd avoid dealing with any demon's on your iPhone. You might want to stick with handling daemon's.

19. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

This phone is evil!

20. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Good call!... funny typo tho!...:D:D:D:D

21. Ogrillion macrumors member

I don't mean to thread jack but figure battery life and usage all go hand in hand.

Today I was curious what my battery life would be after Jailbreak, so far its been normal but anyways I noticed my usage was being tracked this morning (via general > Usage) but all of a sudden the information was cleared. Only thing I can think of is I downloaded the live nexus wallpaper and respring my .. icons don't know the term haha.. desktop =/

Anyways does doing a respring reset your usage? Oh come to think of it I also might have rebooted because I couldn't get the live wallpaper to work (I finally found it in winterboard it was named different then I expected)

22. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Yea respringing resets the usage counter. Not sure why, but it always has

23. Ogrillion macrumors member

Ok cool thanks for the confirmation - I figured it was that.