What about enhanced audio on iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hakr100, Oct 6, 2012.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

Apple makes the following claim on its web page for enhanced audio on the iPhone 5:

Enhanced audio on iPhone 5.

Apple EarPods are just the beginning of the improved audio experience on iPhone 5. It’s designed with three microphones: one on the front, one on the back, and one on the bottom. The front and back mics work together to achieve beamforming — a technique that helps iPhone focus on sound from the desired location for clearer audio. New noise-canceling technology reduces background noise. So when you hold iPhone up to your ear in a loud room, you hear what matters most: the voice on the other end.

Can anyone verify the italicized improvements? Does the voice on the other end of the phone call sound better and clearer, and more "hearable" in a noisy environment? Anything special you have noticed that relates to quality of sound?

2. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

There is definitely an improvement in the sound quality while on a call. I normally have a hard time hearing when in a crowded environment, and switching from a 4s to the 5 was a noticeable improvement. I now actually have to turn the volume down a little!

Speakerphone calls are also very much easier to hear...

3. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Improvements in phone features attract me, not improvements in gimmicks I mostly don't use.

4. scgf macrumors member

Wideband audio is amazing. It's like the person you're talking to is in the room behind you. The frequency range is much greater so you hear the other person's voice sounding much more natural.

I am in the UK and my carrier, Three, supports wideband audio as long as both phones in the conversation support this feature. The iPhone 5 does, of course, as do some of the competing phones from other manufacturers like Samsung.

5. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

I too look for the features over gimmicks, and was on the fence going from a 4s to a 5. BUT, once you hold one in your hand you realize the huge difference in weight and bulk, speed overall, and in my area we have LTE so my speeds have been averaging 40mbps down and 30mbps up!

Well worth the upgrade in my opinion.