What about iPhones straight from the box?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by absolutmp5, Sep 15, 2007.

1. absolutmp5 macrumors regular

Well my ipod got stolen. I am very sad by this.

Also my rokr is slowy decaying away to the cell phone graveyard.

Solution time is to get a iphone.

The problem is that I dont want to spend the ridiculous amount of 50 plus dollars on the data plan each month because i have a cingular family plan. Now with that being said I will need to unlock the iphone. My question is how do i unlock a brand new iphone without going through the whole activation process. It seems all the guides being presented seems to just refer to iphones already activated and subscribing to the monthly data plan. It has to be a mac solution as well.

Also can i hook up the iphone to a tv to watch my movies?

2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

if you already have a family plan then it is only $20 extra a month.

if you dont have a family plan then it is still only $20 a month,
    :eek:

you dont have to upgrade all your phones to a data plan, just the iPhone.

3. absolutmp5 thread starter macrumors regular

well 20 bucks a month is still unecessary. I was also wondering is it possible to output video from the iphone to the tv?

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Not yet, but I have a feeling we will see it along with the update (whenever it comes out)

5. mark5segal macrumors newbie

6. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

I don't understand the issue. You can't use the iPhone without the data plan on AT&T. So why get an iPhone? Just get the iPod Touch. What am I missing?

:confused:

--DotComCTO

7. absolutmp5 thread starter macrumors regular

the reasoning behind this is to not have to carry a phone and a ipod at the same time. As a guy pocket space is a priority when you got a wallet and keys to deal with.

8. ryan2385 macrumors newbie

....but you just said how unwilling you are to pay the "unecessary" $20 to use the actual phone feature. You're right, you won't be carrying a phone and an iPod at the same time---instead, you'll be carrying around two phones. :confused:

9. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

$20 is a pretty low bar.

Why don't you try it, you might find that $20 a month for the internet on your phone isn't such a bad deal.

For example just the other day I was at my college heading home and wanted dinner but didn't feel like making anything.

Google'd BBQ, got Famous Dave's.

Went to google maps, entered zip + famous daves...

result pops up on map, tap to see contact, tap on phone number to order, then use turn by turn directions to pick up my food.

Worth every penny.

10. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I don't understand your reasoning either. However, a data plan is not required to use the iPhone. It's just required as a selection in the intial activation process. Once the iTunes activation setup is complete, you can log-on to your AT&T account (wireless.att.com), and remove the data plan.

11. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

You wouldn't need to unlock it; Cingular changed their name to at&t, the default and official operator of the iPhone.

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It is if you want iPhone services like visual voice mail and EDGE. I don't know of any CellCo that gives data away for free. $20 is pretty cheap for data (albeit it is for 2G service). T-Mob is your only other choice and they are no any less expensive.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to not have a data plan w/ their iPhone. That is what makes it an iPhone.

13. jersey macrumors regular

Jesus... Famous Dave's is fanf**kingtastic.

14. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

It's the cheapest unlimited data plan around and without it; no visual voicemail (one of the best features), no google maps, email, safari, weather,etc.. Just get an iPod you don't need an iPhone.

15. absolutmp5 thread starter macrumors regular

well i just use it for calls, but at the same time i would use the wifi feature alot. I really just dont need the internet all the time. The ipod features will be a big bonus.

16. dfnj123 macrumors 6502

absolutmp5, you said you had cingular, right? At&t and cingular are the same thing.... you will NOT need to unlock it

17. 103734 Guest

I was waiting for someone to point this out

18. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Then all you need is an iPod Touch. Also, i do believe it is possible to have video output to a TV. It is done through the 16PIN adapter that you would use to connect to the computer, instead of through the headphone jack like on a iPod. Hope that helped.

19. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

Wow, that sounds amazing! The ease and the phone sound reasonable too...

20. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

If $20 a month for data is too much, then the iPhone is *clearly* not for you.

If you are already on Cinglular, then your are foolish to hack it... You will have to restore after every update, and most likely your phone will go down until the hackers patch after each firmware upgrade. There is no guarantee that these 'unlocks' will work after the updates, and there is much hope that the updates will add functionality, so you'll want them. (MMS, Flash, chat, etc.)

21. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

It's not perfect, but it does do some things very well.