what about other web technologies?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by smetvid, Feb 2, 2010.

1. smetvid macrumors 6502

One thing I would like to talk about is that everybody talks about Flash and HTML 5 but what about other technologies for the new Ipad or in general?

Shockwave?
    Silverlight?
    Unity3D?
    Windows Media?
    Google toolbar?

I know Flash is huge right now but it isn't the only thing left out in the cold by the new Ipad. I realize that HTML 5 could replace some of these technologies as well but it could take years for all the complex web applications and 3D content to be replaced.

I also realize that since we are Mac users perhaps Silverlight doesn't affect us as much but if we deal with clients they usually do live in a PC world that can use almost every form of web technology out there.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

What's to discuss? Those never took off for the most part. I've never made use of any of them (haven't even heard of Unity3D). I don't think the iPad will make any difference for these.

3. smetvid thread starter macrumors 6502

Shockwave was pretty huge at one point and even today has up to 80% userbase. It is still used for a lot of 3D web content. Shockwave was a pretty big deal before Flash came around which has been a sore subject for us Shockwave developers as well. Although Director and Shockwave were mostly aimed at kiosk design and it is true that the web plugin never did get as popular as it could have been. At one point a lot of Mac software was created with Director and Shockwave including the game Myst. Shockwave can still run circles around Flash in terms of performance.

Silverlight is still pretty new but Microsoft is really trying to push it. Since Microsoft controls 90% of the computer market I wouldn't exactly count it out yet.

Unity3D is a pretty complex new 3D game development tool that has it's own web plugin to play web based 3D games. Yes it has not taken off very much yet but a lot of the 3D Shockwave community has moved towards it so we could see a lot happen in a few years. Maybe. Unity3D also has the ability to publish native Iphone aps and is in wide use as a development tool that is truly cross platform.

Windows Media is in pretty wide use once you step outside of the Mac world. It isn't as widespread as Flash but is used a lot in the PC world. It was used a lot more in the past but it still has a pretty good hold. As a web developer I have had to work with all of these technologies. Windows Media has the advantage of multicast live streaming which is critical of large companies with narrow bandwidths.

Just because we may not use a technology that is out there doesn't mean that is true for everybody. I come from a world where I have to develop a wide range of tools for my clients and sometimes they have odd hardware and software requests.

Part of being open is giving me the choice to use what development tool I want and give users a choice as to what plugin or media player they want to use. HTML 5 may be nice and it may work for some people but why limit our choice?

http://unity3d.com/

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Nope. Microsoft is now pushing for silverlight. Most mindless PC people will follow.

Apple and Google is pushing for the standard compliant HTML5 that doesn't need to pay the Microsoft tax.

5. digitalField macrumors regular

Flex. Air. FBML. Ruby. Php. jQuery. django. as3. processing... to name a few..

There are lots of languages/platforms out there for make creating things on the web fun and easy.

What makes one catch tends to be a magically blend of user base, audience base, active developer community and some luck.

6. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

The sooner we lose propriety plugins - of any manufacture - the better. I'm glad Apple is sticking to it's guns and not including Flash on the iPhone or iPad.

7. quixotic macrumors regular

Personally I'd only back something nonproprietary (CSS3/HTML5, javascripting etc.). All the proprietary stuff seems to die off every 5-10, forcing you to port your work. I'd hate to have to learn how to everything all over again, just because one company decided to drop a product.

8. quixotic macrumors regular

Amen. Except for certain animated interactive situations (i.e. games), there's almost never an instance where flash is the right solution.