What about starting our own Stolen iPhone Forum?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SFStateStudent, May 11, 2008.

?

Would you like to start our very own Stolen iPhone Forum?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Maybe

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. No

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Definitely No

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. Yes, but not on MacRumors

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

This way we can publish information about our stolen iPhones or their IMEI's, or at least let others know that a iPhone/IMEI is stolen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't find a website that would allow this. :cool:

2. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Why bother? It's not as if you'll get the phone back is it? Just report it lost/stolen to your network provider (O2, AT&T etc) and move on.

3. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

You probably can't find a website because of the liability involved. Anybody could put up information that any device was stolen. How is the operator of the website supposed to prove it one way or another.

I can't recall but does the original box have anything other than the serial number? If the phone takes a walk how do you get the IMEI outside of having to go pry it out of AT&T to post somewhere? If AT&T doesn't care enough to blacklist IMEI numbers then I don't suppose they're going to be all that cooperative.

Unless one location would be considered the end all, be all of locating a stolen IMEI then it should be the job of Apple or AT&T to maintain such a list since it inevitably comes back to them (for a legitimately activated phone). If it's a unlocked phone then it probably doesn't matter anyway since it's not going down any legitimate channels.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. It is not going to get your phone back, just allow a place for victims to commiserate.

5. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I see your points. I'll have one of the moderators close this thread. Thanks everyone. :cool:

6. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

And the dreaded fact that you can change the IMEI number =(.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.