what about tacoedit?

tuggy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
hi guys!
i'm a recent switcher to mac, and i was looking for a good html/php editor. For what i've read here, you all use textwrangler or bbedit... i found a very nice editor also called tacoedit.
it caught me at first sight just because it has a live preview of my php code :)

just for you to know...

ac2102

macrumors member
May 12, 2003
Bristol - England
I second that! It is not quite as speedy as BBEdit when opening files and, annoyingly, doesn't load files at the same line as when you last edited it. However, it is the only HTML editing software i have found where you can view the entire project tree (a la XCode). It also has some really useful tools for checking syntax and inserting image maps.

I have used this program for about 6 months now to do all of my website design. No CSS syntax colouring support yet, but hopefully that will come along soon.

It can be found at tacosw.com. Oh, and it is free too!

-ac2102

Comment

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
i love tacohtmledit! i use it for all of my work and it's honestly the greatest text-html editor. i've tried a lot of the shareware ones, but they just don't do it for me. my favorite things about taco are... (in no particular order)

1. configurable syntax coloring
2. live php preview (this feature is AWESOME)
3. syntax check
4. php generated html syntax check
5. easy-as-pie image map wizard

and i haven't even touched some of the other cool features like the quick insert menu, auto-indent, the clips feature, etc.

the only things i'd like to see added are line-numbers and prettier toolbar icons.

TacoHTML Edit

edit: i'll be damned, i just saw that it's now at version 1.7 and has prettier toolbar icons and line numbers. this is officially the best program out there. and free!

Comment

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I've used TextWrangler lately, and I'm most comfortable with that...

...but I downloaded Taco HTML Edit recently to test, and was very impressed with the live php preview, it rendered my css flawlessly and found all my .inc files, and I didn't have to go through apache/localhost... not bad... maybe I'll "switch"... ;)

Comment

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I mostly use TextEdit when writing code, but I've used TacoEdit before and really liked it. I'm just used to TextEdit, it reminds me of the king of all HTML editors... NotePad! :)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.