What about the 1.1.1 binaries?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by illumin8, Sep 30, 2007.

1. illumin8 macrumors 6502

Has anybody extracted a 1.1.1 firmware image and tried installing the binaries for the updated versions of Safari, iTunes, the Wifi iTunes store, on a softmodded 1.0.2 phone?

I'm curious if the binaries will run. This could be a way we can get some of the security fixes and new features of the 1.1.1 firmware on our 1.0.2 phones. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance!

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

One of the reasons that the 1.1.1 update was so big was that it replaced practically all the code on the iPhone with new code that is encrypted. This is the same encryption that the iPod Touch is using and the same reason why nobody has been able to jailbreak that iPod. The key used is too long and will require entirely too much time to unlock it.

Until this happens, there is no installing 1.1.1 versions onto a 1.0.2 phone.

3. The General macrumors 601

They don't need to jailbreak 1.1.1, they just need to decrypt the 1.1.1 firmware files which Apple has so kindly provided us with through iTunes.

Efforts exist, I expect it will be decrypted by next weekend. Then we can try putting the 1.1.1 programs on 1.0.2 to see what happens, but I reckon that once 1.1.1 is decrypted, jailbreak will become possible and it will be Apple's move yet again.

http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php/Decrypt_1.1.1

The iPhone doesn't use an encrypted filesystem. Do you have any idea how slow that would make it? The battery would die soooo fast, it would get hot, it would run slow. It's not encrypted, but the disc image that contains the 1.1.1 filesystem is encrypted in a different manor than the previous disc images.

4. illumin8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the information! I'm sure now that all of the iPhone hackers have been mobilized it will only be a short time before 1.1.1 is jailbroken.