What about the Apps on Verizon iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ars Diaboli, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Ars Diaboli macrumors member

Just wondering if the apps will translate without any glitches to the V iPhone. I think they should but will you just be able to take your AT&T iphone and sync them over and will they work right out of the gate?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah. Apple sells iPhones on many carriers worldwide and they sell iPads with a 3G radio and iPads without.

People don't have any trouble moving their apps between these different types of devices. A Verizon iPhone would be no different.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

why don't we wait till it comes out! or call your Verizon rep I'm sure he will know! :rolleyes: it be the same os so most likely be fine.. but they will priobly know the deal next week. i want too know if it will boot Verizon or be trade marked since they love to do that.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Its tough to say since there currently is no Verizon iPhone

I'm sure we will know more if and when a Verizon iPhone is announced
    A lot of questions will be answered at that point

5. redman042 macrumors 68020

Yes, I'm 100% sure they will. Just sync the new phone to the same iTunes account and you won't be able to tell the difference, other than a different carrier name at the top.

6. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

What makes you think it won't work with the current iPhone? As mentioned, iPhone is sold in different countries and different carriers.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Well, you'll probably not want to have AT&T's "Mark the Spot" app on it.

:)

A related question is: will Verizon have their own apps available in the App Store or included with the phone?

My guess is they'll at least have an app that accesses your account and/or shows how much data you've used (they have these for Android).

8. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I'm sure they'll have there own apps just as ATT does; but they won't be on the phone. You'll have to download them.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What about Verizon's crapware that they put on phones. Will we see that on the VZW iPhone?

10. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I would be VERY surprised if Apple let them do this in any way shape or form other than through a V app in the app store.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm sure that here won't be any problems switching apps from an AT&T to Verizon iPhone. I wouldn't worry about it OP.

12. Ars Diaboli thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info. I completely forgot about the other multiple carriers in other countries. And I guess the AT&T apps that I have would probably work, but won't be needed. Just will have to make sure that I get the Verizon versions of them, if they have them. I would hope that they have them already, but they may not, as even AT&T took a little while to get these apps available.

13. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

i don't think they'll be included with the phone.
    Pretty much every carrier here in Austria offers an app that shows your current / remaining data usage / voice minutes, etc., distributed via the AppStore.
    I don't think the Verizon Phone will be any different to the current GSM iPhone 4 in regards to software

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

That makes sense. Except all other models are made for global distribution.

If this phone is actually a Verizon-only model, then there's no such distribution reason to leave off a carrier-specific app.

So there would only be a publicity reason to leave them off. That is, Apple wanting to continue to appear aloof from carrier influence (even though everyone knows they gave in to various ATT WiFi-only suggestions).

15. flash144 macrumors member

If a VZW Iphone does come, THAT would be soooo funny. Millions of VZW sending "problem reports" for AT&T's network.....

That would be interesting.......:eek:

16. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

My thinking is that nothing would change. Verizon could have its own apps, just like AT&T, but that they would only work on a Verizon network.
    Basically, they'll have them and they'll work in general the same as AT&T apps work.
    Verizon will only work on Verizon, AT&T will only work on AT&T, etc.

I don't have a Sling player, but if I got the app it would work. Same principle.

17. thetexan macrumors 6502a

There is an API to allow programs to see what carrier you are using. Verizon for example could develop an NFL application to access their free NFL stuff and watch the NFL network (awesome on Thursday nights) but lock it down to Verizon users only. Same goes with anything AT&T develops and wants to keep for AT&T users only.

18. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

i do think that's part of the deal, not having any software pre-installed.

aye, for example, there's a t-mobile branded free version of the navigon GPS app, that only works when using a T-Mobile data connection, here

19. old-wiz macrumors G3

I really really hope that Verizon doesn't limit an iPhone by stuffing it full of their crapware and requiring customers to use their junky vCast store.

20. thetexan macrumors 6502a

They don't do that on Android so I doubt they would on the iPhone.

21. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Verizon will have to put their apps through the app approval process like every other carrier in the world does. Verizon won't get special treatment from Apple - assuming that there will even be a Verizon iPhone which is still far from certain at this point.

Also, I think there is a big misconception that this is going to be a Verizon-only phone. If it does exist, it will probably be a CDMA phone and be distributed to ALL CDMA carriers, not just Verizon.

22. 0815 macrumors 68000

Same deal as when they switch from EDGE to 3G was made: the apps don't care - they just work - they just use whatever 'connection' they find. The OS does not really change (at least from point of the apps). Why should it make a difference what type of connection is used?

23. bholaladka macrumors regular

24. hushmartin macrumors 6502

I was wondering the same thing. It's pretty unlikely that I'd be switching, but I was a bit worried about the hundreds of dollars (eep!) in apps I could lose. (It really adds up over time!)

I would think they'd work the same as always. I hope.

25. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Actually now that I think about it there might be a problem with apps on CDMA networks. Here's a hypothetical example:

You're in Twitter for iPhone and you post a tweet. As it is sending the tweet to Twitter's server you get a phone call. Since a CDMA iPhone couldn't do simultaneous voice and data the connection to the Twitter server would be severed before the tweet is sent.

This could be problematic for many apps unless developers adjust their apps to handle this type of ad hoc connection loss.

It could also be problematic to the user.

I will often send a large email with attachments and then phone the contact while it is sending to discuss the email.

If I had a CDMA iPhone I would have to wait for the email to send and then make the call. It's not a big deal, but it's something that users would have to consciously be aware of when using their device. And as I pointed out earlier, some apps would handle the interruptions better than others. While mail app has an outbox/drafts folder, other apps do not.