What about the MacBook Pro line?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by logube, Jan 15, 2008.

  1. logube macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2008
    #1
    So now there is this fantastic, sexy thin subnotebook.
    But I wanted to buy a MacBook Pro to upgrade my Powerbook 4 15" FW800.
    What shall I do now? Wait any longer? Buy the thin sexy laptop instead?
     
  2. mroseneo macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2007
    Location:
    Japan
    #2
    Just buy it now if you really need it. It will probably be a few months at least until they update it. I need one right now so I'm out to buy a 15 inch in about 30 minutes. If your Powerbook still runs fine, why not wait? I am using on an iBook G3 now and it is unbearably slow.
     
  3. Pressure macrumors 68040

    Pressure

    Joined:
    May 30, 2006
    Location:
    Denmark
  4. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

    2A Batterie

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2004
    Location:
    Out of a Suitcase, USA
    #4
    Nothing is "wrong" with the current MBP, but I think potential buyers would be holding out in the event of an update, especially since the MBP have not been refreshed in a while. Also, I feel that the more recent update of the MB line puts the cost/value of the MBP at a distinct disadvantage. While there are some features exclusive to MBP (such as FW800 on the 17"), I think the gap between the MB and MBP is far narrower than the prices suggest.
     
  5. logube thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2008
    #5
    the problem

    my PB g4 fw800 has nothing wrong, but I have already gone through 4 power adapters and I have had to buy a new battery, and I like to make movies but now the g4 won't run the new movie software from life08, and also ...

    basically the G4 it's perfectly good, but I'd like to update it while it still has some value and it's still in perfect good (working) conditions.

    Having waiting 3 months for this update, and given the fact that the MBP line has not been updated for more than 200 days, I wonder if there is a very close update coming or not.
     
  6. Yrr81 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2008
    Location:
    Belgium
    #6
    I have been waiting for 6 months

    and i must say, patience is wairing thin :mad:
     
  7. telecomm macrumors 65816

    telecomm

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2003
    Location:
    Rome
    #7
    I'm in a similar situation; it's quite a premium to pay for a graphics card, a larger screen, and some extra connections (both the 15" and the 17" have FW800 connections, BTW). At the very least we should see a processor bump soon.

    Why wait?

    Benchmarks like this

    (not to mention the big red letters on this page) ;)
     
  8. theLimit macrumors 6502a

    theLimit

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2007
    Location:
    up tha holler, acrost tha crick
    #8
    I'm awaiting a silent processor bump, hopefully mobile Penryns at 2.4 and 2.6 GHz, hopefully by February.
     
  9. Philming macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2008
    #9
    Same thing here. I was REALLY disappointed that no new mbp were announced yesterday (it's yesterday here in France). I need to replace my iBook G4 / 933, and want to switch to the Pro line. Buying it now would not be a smart move I guess (except if as stated earlier it's a dire need). I think I'll wait for an update that SHOULD be coming soon..
     
  10. Squonk macrumors 65816

    Squonk

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
    #10
    I am also playing the waiting & wondering game. I have the PB in my signature which is really pokey for iLife 06 and I want to move to iLife 08 and Leopard. I do not want to invest any more money into the PB (2GB RAM, Leopard, ilife08). I have the money in the bank for a new MBP. The thing is that I want my next machine to last me 3-4 years so if the next bump, although minor, is just a couple of weeks away, I can wait for it.

    I was hopeful for MW, but honestly that update is not worth time in the keynote. Well not unless they had a full makeover which is more likely coming this summer. Heck if I knew when that was going to happen, I might hold out for that.
     
  11. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2008
    Location:
    Old Trafford
    #11
    Yea, thats one thing i'm looking for as well. The processor switch and jump !

    The 2nd thing is an upgrade in the video card to the moblie 8800 line of nvida. I'm thinking of switching to Mac and this card could be the kicker. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but believe it or not, this card would handle every game I current play.

    Thats about all I need to make my switch from PC to Mac.

    The other way to swtich would be to buy a new Mac Pro, but I already have a Dell that still runs ok, so I figured why not go for a mobile computer.

    I'm just disappointed with MWSF. I thought for sure something would be announced that would have me going to the Apple Retail Store near me :(
     
  12. joepunk macrumors 68030

    joepunk

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2004
    Location:
    a profane existence
    #12
    In the waiting game as well w/my PB (see sig for details). Don't really mind whats offered right now but I can still hold out some more and see what might be comming up.
     

Share This Page