What about the multi-touch patent?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stormbringer, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Stormbringer macrumors regular

I'm sorry if I missed it, but I don't hear anything lately about Apple's patent on multi-touch. They've sued Palm for using it on the Pre, and now Android seems to use it too (I thought they were "friends" with Google): link

Has anyone any info on this?

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

When did Apple sue Palm for multitouch?

If Apple's patents on multitouch are that comprehensive, I would think they'd simply require a licensing fee from Palm.

Patents are a tricky business.

3. bfc macrumors member

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Meh. Patent law professors are nearly useless for real-world situations. Sure they can wax philosophical about the theory behind patent law, but that isn't as relevant as the opinion of practicing patent attorney familiar with both Palm and Apple's patent portfolios.

(I was a patent examiner for a year down in VA.)

5. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

what would apple gain by suing? Other than far more negative attention as being a bully. I would think apple would need to be wise in legal dealings as they are not a small company and if they start suing companies not as financially strong the may draw attention and be accused of stiffling competition

6. Stormbringer thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry for the wrong statement, I thought they were suing Palm already.

But what I understand from that Gizmodo link, in one sentence: "as longs as you do not copy a patent excactly, your're safe." Right?