What about this "Lion Recovery Disk Assistant"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Skyholder01, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Skyholder01 macrumors member

New Macbook Pro. Running a purchased and DL'd version of OS Lion. If I am already using Time capsule, to back up my HD, would there be a reason to install the Lion Recovery Disk Assistant?

2. waynep macrumors 6502

It let's you create a bootable USB thumb drive for Disk Utility and the ability to reload/restore. If your MBP is a 2011 it's built into the EFI. If it's a 2010, then it's likely get a EFI update with it built in. My 2010 17" got the EFI update the other day.

3. Skyholder01 thread starter macrumors member

Forgive my ignorance..... EFI?

My "About this MAC" says 15" Early 2011.

4. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

EFI is the software that installed on your hardware. So no matter what you have or have not installed, this software will be there. It's what tells your computer what to start, where to look for the OS etc.

On non Apple PC's they use a BIOS. Windows needs a BIOS. So when you install windows on your mac it fakes it has a BIOS, while in fact it has EFI.

When you option boot (where you can select which drive to start from), that's also the EFI. And since the EFI is installed on your hardware (guess that's the motherboard) it doesn't matter which hard drive you install, it will always have the installer.

5. Skyholder01 thread starter macrumors member

Which is some bizarre fashion brings me back to my initial inquiry... should I bother with the "Lion Recovery Disk Assistant", on an "early 2011" MacBook Pro?

6. waynep macrumors 6502

I don't think you need to bother since I think those features are built into your 2011 Mac's EFI.

7. Skyholder01 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you.