What accessories do you find essential?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GreatestDane, Oct 31, 2010.

1. GreatestDane macrumors member

Hi.

I am currently in the process of buying a mac, and I just wanted to know if there are any accessories out there that I should know of, but don't.

The mac I'm buying is either the new MBA 13 with 2.13 GHz and 4 Gb (I have to consider if I want to use so much on a computer) or a base MBP 13.

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

the only thing essential to enhance your new Mac will be an Internet connection and an external HD to run Time Machine.

There is really nothing you NEED that is not in the box when you open it.

I would go with the base MBP over the Air ... as upgrading the Ram and HD you can do yourself on the Pro but not on the Air ... I believe the MBA will become a Cash Cow for Apple when many people realize 64 GB is just not enough.

we shall see in future threads on this forum:cool:

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Add a good mouse too. I like the Logitech Performance MX.

4. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Depends how you plan to use it, I just started with the 15" i5 mbp and have since made a desktop setup with 24" monitor/Apple keyboard/trackpad and magic mouse and just "dock" the mbp at my desk to do "proper work".
    Loving the fact that I have a "desktop" Mac and a portable in one.
    The new air looks great but it`s too restrictive for my needs.

5. fatfreddy macrumors newbie

magic mouse, external hard drive (for time machine). I have a Macbook, and like the above poster I've just recently converted it to a "desktop" set up with an external monitor and a full size keyboard. Love having two monitors, best thing i've ever bought for my mac.

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

An external HDD for backup. That is an absolute must.

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

An extra power supply. One in the laptop bag, the other at the desktop.

A mouse for when the trackpad doesn't cut it. (Gaming or a lot mouse dragging).

In the MBPro, an SSD. In fact, if you got the SSD and an external enclosure, you could swap your HDD for the SDD, then put the HDD in the enclosure to use as your Time Machine backup.

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

9. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Get a Speck SeeThru Satin cover. My year old MBP still looks like new. Just take it off periodically and clean it along with the computer.

Other than that, your needs and expected usage should be driving your decisions.

FWIW, I have a Mac Pro, so I my 15" MBP only becomes my main machine when I travel. My basic travel kit includes a Virgin Mobile USB broadband modem, FW800 CF card reader, and maybe a FW800 bus-powered drive. A second power brick would be nice to have, but not nice enough to motivate me to buy one.