What accessories should I buy for a rMBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by boomdog, Oct 27, 2013.

1. boomdog macrumors regular

boomdog

Hi all,

I am a long time PC user taking a dive in the OSX world. Portability is important to me, as whilst I do own an iPhone and iPad for basic browsing and viewing docs, I like to be able to take full functionality everywhere I go.

With my current laptop I have a mouse and keyboard setup at home and a second pairing for when at work. I also have an external HD that I store large backups on and am trying out google drive and Dropbox for the files I need frequent access to.

My real questions are:

what would the best keyboard / mouse setup be for my new MBP as I don't usually get on with built in keyboards and my shovel hands often hit the trackpad.

What is the best backup/ additional storage solution (need 1tb for current files and at least an extra 1tb going forward)

Is it worth getting an external monitor? If so, which one do you all recommend? I would prefer the screen to be able to function with a PC or PS3/4.

As a bit of background, I use my computer all day (teacher) and throughout my leisure time (browsing, photo editing, web design, video editing, light gaming, streaming online content). I hate unnecessary cables as I have a mild OCD about tangled cables and as such spend most of my life untangling and re-routing the darn things. Wireless options would be better where possible.

2. L T macrumors 6502

L T

The obvious choice for Keyboard/Mouse would be the apple wireless keyboard and the wireless magic mouse or magic trackpad, whichever you get on with better. They connected via bluetooth.

A 3 TB time capsule looks like it would do the job for you, I haven't had much experience with them but it would be a wireless back up which would help with your cable clutter.

External monitor are good but I'm always left with one annoyance. When I have all my desktops set up using the external monitor and my MacBook as a second screen, I then unplug the monitor and it resizes all my windows and how I have them laid out. I haven't tried since since installing mavericks, I do believe it is better at handling multiple displays.

The good thing with staying all Apple is that you could plug you MacBook into the projector and interactive whiteboard at school and then operate it from the other side of the room with the wireless keyboard/mouse or even with your iPhone/iPad

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have a 13: rmbp....Use a Magic Mouse and ( until we needed the drive ) a 2TB WD USB 3 Backup HDD. Surprisingly fast and very cheap, these are ideal and come in larger sizes too. A Time Capsule is a little OTT with it's wifi and other cabled functions built in, and this is reflected in it's cost.

4. boomdog thread starter macrumors regular

boomdog

Thank you both for your responses. Can I use an Apple TV unit to send my presentations to a projector? I like the idea of controlling the setup from a far too as I could simply hand the students the mouse and keyboard to interact with the lesson.

5. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Absolutely, provided said projector has HDMI in and you have a wifi network.

It does get glitchy when doing mouse/keyboard from afar, but certainly still useable. We do the same exact thing in our office and works very well.

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

When connected to my external monitor at home, I use a full size wiredApple keyboard. It gives me a numeric pad and forward delete. I like the Magic Mouse too.

I always had problems with the trackpad on Lenovo laptops. My hands would move the cursor while I was typing. I haven't had that problem with the MBP. It seems to ignore the trackpad while I'm typing.

As to backups, I'm in the camp that you can't have too many backups. I use time machine for day to day backups to multiple destinations. In addition I make periodic clones using CCC.

7. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Apple Wireless Keyboard + Apple Trackpad + maybe Apple Magic Mouse
    For wireless, 2TB or 3TB Time Capsule would be the obvious solution, but expensive. If you don't mind wired, any 2TB+ external hard drive will do.
    You tell us. Do you need an external monitor? Any monitor with HDMI will fit your request; though if you plan on gaming with it, one with low ms response time would be best.

EDIT: Maybe a hard cover or sleeve for your rMBP would be a wise accessory to buy as well, if you don't have one already, that is. Oh, and I also like PlugBugs!

8. boomdog thread starter macrumors regular

boomdog

Thank you all for your responses, I would like an external display as I'm already used to working with a 17" and would appreciate the additional work area. I am either going to purchase an additional TV for PS3 and a Monitor for my rMPB or one that can cover both. Just not sure which way to go... I have a month to work it out though as due the buying through an employer scheme I won't receive my new rMPB until December 1st

A case does seem like a great idea, as does that double plug. Particularly useful for areas where sockets are in short supply.

Thank you all for your advice.