What accessories should I buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by craigc1264, Jan 28, 2010.

1. craigc1264 macrumors newbie

I have about $150 to spend for my birthday, and wanted some opinions on what I should buy. I have a 13" uMBP. I currently have an older Linksys Wrt54g router, a 500GB external Seagate HD, and a Logitech MX Revolution mouse. I just purchased an incase neoprene sleeve.

I am a student. Use my laptop for research, paper writing, browsing, email, very light photo/video work.

My thoughts:
    Magic Mouse
    Hardshell case (Will it still fit in the incase sleeve??)
    Airport Express (To hook up my printer and audio to)
    A few adapters (To hook computer up to TV, etc...)
    Stylus (Wanting to be able to use this to hand-write notes for classes. Is this possible with any software out there??)

Any other suggestions??

2. Bumble Bee macrumors member

I have used the magic mouse and it is amazing but the mutli touch pad does just fine, go an buy an Iphone

3. craigc1264 thread starter macrumors newbie

No thanks. I have a Blackberry Bold, and can't make the switch. My wife has the iPhone. It fits some, and doesn't others. I am just one of those others. I already have a great mouse with my Mx Revolution. Not sure if the magic mouse is really worth the $70 pricetag.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

A thin hardcase shell will still allow the computer to fit in an incase sleeve...although, I've never liked hardcases/really seen the point.

As for adapters, if you want to save a few $$$ you can buy them from www.monoprice.com (3rd party adapter) instead of from Apple.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

Moshi Palmguard in silver.

I love mine..... Now, I can wear my watch while I type and the watch can't scratch the palm rests.

6. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Get a Bamboo Tablet. They have the touch/pen, which is what i have, it has multi touch and can use draw/use hand writing recognition.

7. tkboss88 macrumors member

put the $150 in a your savings BECAUSE you are a college student =D
    i would...

8. craigc1264 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am a married college student with a wife who works full-time in the medical field to support my schooling habits. Her job pays the bills, my part-time job funds the savings accounts and our blow money. This $150 is part of this blow money. I just need to decide what to blow it on.

9. tanyawongz macrumors newbie

Save it until there's something you REALLY want. :)

10. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

That's no fun...

11. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

What's in the macbook? Update some hardware maybe? SSD or something?

12. craigc1264 thread starter macrumors newbie

2 Gb of ram. 160 GB HDD. I am content with both of these at this time. Maybe later on I will upgrade the ram and HDD.

13. umiwangu macrumors 6502

Are the adapters 'ok' quality? That said, I only use the adapters once a month, if that, so they wouldn't be getting that much use anyway...

14. mingoglia macrumors 6502

Good to meet a fellow Bold user. :) Anyway, I know you said you're happy with the amount of RAM you have but OSX runs real nice with 4 gigs. Memory purchased at a store other than an Apple store is very reasonably priced. I'm not sure off the top of my head the memory configuration of your machine from the factory but if you have to replace both chips to get to 4 gigs it may be a bit over your budget but perhaps you can sell your old memory? :)

Memory aside, I think the Magic Mouse is a good buy. I like mine more and more each day and have gotten to the point now where I'm thoroughly annoyed to use anything else... particularly once I added the Better Touch software.

I also like the Express. I had it on my Christmas list and my wife bought it for me. Other than configuring it and playing with it it's been sitting in my drawer. I plan to use it after I build out my entertainment system. It's a cool device, but unless you have a specific need for (such as having a printer or speakers in another room or need to use it to hook up a device that lackes 802.11 in another room) it it may not satisfy your "need a new toy" craving. :)

15. Surely Guest

Surely

I wanted to add a photo of the Moshi Palmguard in action. I don't think people realize how awesome this accessory actually is. The color is almost a perfect match and it's extremely thin.

Attached Files:

16. umiwangu macrumors 6502

Do they make something similar for the lid and underbody? I don't want to get a whole hardcase (I use an Incase sleeve), plus don't the hardcases keep the screen from opening the whole way?

17. bluefox9er macrumors regular

I don't think a $150 accessory will be that much of a game changing addition to your rather impressive set up.

Why don't you take the missus out for dinner at a nice place instead?

18. Surely Guest

Surely

I'm not sure, but here's their website: http://www.moshimonde.com/products.asp

I bought my Palmguard off of Amazon....

19. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Dude, upgrade the RAM. Even if you think you're good with 2GB, try 4GB and you'll wonder how you ever made due. When I run Entourage, Word, and Safari on my school computer (20" iMac), it bogged down with 2GB - now that I've been upgraded to 4GB, I have NO ISSUES at all.

20. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

+1 vote. Big time!

21. umiwangu macrumors 6502

Thanks.

I've been wondering about upgrading RAM too. Right now I have 2GBs and this thing is slow as a dog. I often have Dreamweaver, Cyberduck, Textedit, Mail, iTunes, Firefox, Chrome, Word, iChat, Skype, and 128MB/Win2K VM running at the same time.

So 4GBs will make it better?

22. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Yes.

23. umiwangu macrumors 6502

Cool. I was semi-seriously thinking about getting an SSD until I saw the price/GB ratio. I'll put the SSD purchase on hold until things get a bit better (and until we get better support for SSD from OS X).

24. craigc1264 thread starter macrumors newbie

The misses b-day is 10 days before mine, and Valentines Day is between our bdays. We already planned on going out to dinner. Anyone have suggestions of where to purchase RAM at? This way I can price it out. Any brands to stay away from?

With that palm guard... What is it made out of? Is it comparable to a ZAGG shield or something like that?

25. Surely Guest

Surely

I'm not sure what the specific material is. I can't compare it to a ZAGG shield because I've never had one. Do a search here, there is a thread all about this product, with a lot of happy customers.

It feels very solid. It's cut to fit the palm rest perfectly. I've had mine on since the beginning of December, and it's scratch-free (as you can see in the photo). It's got a nice feel to it as well (in terms of texture). It doesn't get in the way of the lid when you close the MBP.

As long as they keep making them, I'll always buy one for every Mac laptop I ever buy.