What adapter(s) would I need for this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cameronfield, Oct 5, 2009.

1. cameronfield macrumors member

So at my girlfriend's apartments they have this really nice movie theater with a huge projector, and luckily they have RCA inputs in the front.

So we've been using my xbox to watch movies up there, but it's a pain in the ASS to lug it all the way to the 'clubhouse' whenever we want to watch something!

Anyways, so I want to start using my 13" macbook pro to watch the movies since most of them are on there anyways. As of now I have the following adapters:

- mini displayport to HDMI
    - mini displayport to DVI

What else do I need to get to RCA? I randomly found this, but it's only component? http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10235&cs_id=1023504&p_id=3869&seq=1&format=2

If so not bad for $3 :D.

If that wont work, what could I use? Seems like my only other option is HDMI > VGA > RCA (if that's even possible).

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Does that thing have HDMI inputs or only composite input? You need a 3.5mm to RCA cable for your audio.

3. cameronfield thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, just composite RCA.

I found an adapter that was VGA > RCA but it had 1/5 stars because people said you need a special video card + software for it to work.

Am I out of options here?!

4. Mr Dobey macrumors 6502

how 'nice ' is the theater if the projector only has composite in?

5. cameronfield thread starter macrumors member

The theater is extremely nice - I'm sure the projector has HDMI/Component/DVI, but they only have a wall plug thingy for composite RCA.

I guess I could try to stand on one of the chairs and see if the projector had HDMI/DVI...if it does then I'm set I guess and would just have to stand on the chair to connect it each time lol.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Your best bet it to check out the projector and see what kind of video inputs it has and all that.

7. cameronfield thread starter macrumors member

Only thing is I wouldn't be able to get the 7.1 surround sound :/

8. cameronfield thread starter macrumors member

Ok good news! The projector DOES have HDMI input! The only problem would be the audio, I would either have to have it come out of my macbook's speakers or hope it carries through to the HDMI cable. I'd put my money on my macbook's speakers sound better than the projector's.

I'll bring my gear next time and see how it works :)

9. m85476585 macrumors 65816

HDMI won't carry sound with a regular MDP to HDMI adapter.

You can get surround sound if you can tap into the speaker system with a Toslink cable. Your MBP should have optical audio out , and you can use a cable like this to connect that to a receiver with an optical input.
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10229&cs_id=1022902&p_id=1558&seq=1&format=2

Alternatively, you can get a 3.5mm to RCA audio cable and connect it to the inputs on the wall and probably have better sound than either the laptop or projector speakers, assuming there is some kind of sound system and you can get it to take the audio from the RCA ports while the projector displays a picture from the HDMI port.

10. cameronfield thread starter macrumors member

It has an actual DVD player that we can use, so I guess I could just burn the movies to get the best audio/video quality.

Thanks for the tips!