What Additional Features does FCP have that FCE doesn't?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nyycavo24, Mar 12, 2008.

1. nyycavo24 macrumors member

I am going to upgrade to FCE (most likely 3.5 because I want the added functionality), but was curious as to what additional features you get with FCP that you don't with the express version.

I hear that FCE 3.5 offers a large increase in the number of features as compared to iMovie 6....so is the difference as dramatic when going from FCE to FCP?

I have been looking on Ebay for an old copy of it since version 4 came out, but I want to have as much information as possible on it before buying it. I hear they stripped some important functionality in the transition to FCE4.

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Are you asking about the difference between Final Cut Pro and Final Cut Express, or Final Cut Studio and Final Cut Express.

If it is Final Cut Pro, the difference isn't huge. You have some more powerful color correction options, and more filters, but editing is basically the same. Come to think of it, however, I'm not sure that Final Cut Express has multicam options which is a really nice feature in Final Cut Pro for cutting concerts or other live events together.

If you are asking about Final Cut Studio, then the differences are huge and you would be better served just browsing Apple's website.

P-Worm

3. nyycavo24 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I know that the full studio is a lot different....before I plop down a ton of money on that, Ill probably download Adobe Premier Pro and use the trial for 30 days to see how I like that.

I wish Apple allowed you to use their apps on a trial basis.

I was under the impression that you could buy FCP as a standalone without having to buy the entire studio, which is why I was asking.

I'm leaning toward FCE 3.5 over FCE 4....good choice you think? I want more LiveTypes and some more transitions/effects and I hear that 3.5 well do this for me more than 4 will.

4. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

That was once the case, before Apple bundled everything into FCS - but not any more.

- Martin

5. -DH macrumors 65816

I believe FCE is limited to working with DV and HDV formats. FCP can handle almost any professional and most consumer formats.

-DH