What advantages does the iPod Touch have over the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by princealfie, May 22, 2011.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Considering that the iPhone is very popular and seems to have more features, why would people prefer the iPod Touch apart from the contract/no-contract option?

2. DudeMartin macrumors regular

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

It's cheaper than an iPhone.
    Some people don't really want a phone (*raises hand*).

4. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I already have a not so smart phone so I use the Ipod touch along with it. I do plan on purchasing an iPhone eventually.

5. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

In addition to the reasons already given (price being the most obvious), the iPod Touch has a metal back, not glass, so it is arguably more durable.

6. Flake macrumors regular

Flake

for some the lighter weight and thinner-ness could be an advantage. also it's probably very slightly faster

7. AdrianK macrumors 68020

How so? It has the same CPU clocked at the same frequency, but half the memory of iPhone 4 (256mb vs 512mb). I doubt the omission of a cellular radio would affect performance.

8. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

You'd be surprised at how much background processing goes on for those phone functions.

9. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

Let's say you ignore the plan altogether. Unlocked iPhones cost much more than the most expensive iPod touch, adding only a better camera for that extra dollar. Meanwhile, you lose the phone, SMS, MMS, and mobile data facilities of the iPhone, as well as some potential storage capacity depending on which model you purchase.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Personally, I think it comes down to if you want mobile internet access. That's the real crux. For me the answer is a resounding yes. I use it much more than I thought I would. For you the answer may be different.

11. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

Advantage: no butt calls...
    Disadvantage: no built-in GPS...

12. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

I don't think it's possible to butt dial with an iPhone, unless it's actually touching your butt.

13. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

You also have more choice over storage options compared to the iPhone, which means you could carry all or most of your music collection.

That is, if it is lesser than 60 GB. If it is more then you might as well get the Classic.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

surprise me with some evidence of your claims

15. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

For me the iPod touch let's me go "multiplatform" in mobile OS's alongside my Nexus S.

If I am out and about and an iOS exclusive app needs Internet access, I just fire up the portable hotspot on my Nexus S and use the app on my iPod touch.

Price of the touch is an advantage too.