What age (not legally) do people start drinking in America?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nlivo, May 5, 2008.

1. nlivo macrumors 6502a

I know the legal age is 21 (which I think is crazy, in Australia it is 18) but what age do kids usually start drinking at parties and what not? Here, kids at about late 15's, 16's start drinking at parties. I started when I was about 14 but I was an idiot back then. Made some stupid mistakes. What about in America? Is it about the same difference from the legal age as here? People 18-19 drink often? Or is it about the same as here age-wise? I know in the UK it is just wild (huge generilisation but I know from experience).

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I have no clue. I'm 20, and I've drunk wine with my parents since I was a small child. Given, my mom's Italian, so wine at a dinner on occasion is not unusual. Never, ever had enough to be drunk or even slightly tipsy. Half a glass max. My dad was a DEA officer, so I've always been very aware of the dangers posed by drugs and alcohol and feel no need to "experiment"- another term for making stupid decisions instead of taking other's word for it that it is stupid.

I've NEVER had wine outside of the house, and NEVER had alcohol with friends or at a party. However, I am something of a goody two shoes, and know most of the kids at school were nothing like me. :) I have no idea when they started drinking.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm a Brit, used to drink a glass of wine with my sunday dinner ever since I was 13 or so. When I was 15 I had one too many glasses of the stuff whilst on holiday in Spain and I never really had much after that. 18 came and went, I'm 22 now and I only have a glass of champagne at New Years.

I think that since I grew up with alcohol at in my young teens with my parents it never had that rebellious image.

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Yeah I agree with the whole drinking wine at a young age, I have no obsession with drinking myself stupid.

And yes that is a huge generalisation :D

5. BengalDuck macrumors regular

Late middle school for some (age 14/15)
    High school for most (age 15/18)

Even more dangerous than starting in grade 7 is when they start when they get to college, and have no limits. People who start in college (age 18-20) can really hurt themselves.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

21 was the first time i ever drank any alcohol besides church lol

am 23 now

reason was i respect the laws and the risk in getting into too much trouble was not worth it to me

with that, i dont mind drinking, but those that drink to get drunk are just stupid

7. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

I'm 21 and I don't really drink. On my b-day in January 08,(last time i drank) i had a beer and a few shots, half a year before that I drank at a camp out, 2 years before that i drank some vodka and that was about it.

Between those times tho I never had a sip. I don't know why I drink. I think it's pretty stupid for me to do it, but that's just me. I like to be me and not influenced by any drug.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

There's a lesson to be learnt here, and it is: Start drinking early.

9. nineteentwelve macrumors regular

I started drinking when I was 15. I remember the first pub I went into and actually got served. Looking back, I think how on Earth did the landlord think I was 18 at the time. I'm 21 now and still drink, just not as much. It's not as fun as it was when it was illegal.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I enjoy drinking. I really love beer. I don't drink every single day, and I'm not a bad drunk who can't walk around without help, breaks things, fights, or throws up everywhere. However, when I go out, I will drink. If I'm busy the next day, I'll have 2 drinks, maybe 3, 4, or 5 drinks. It really depends on what I'm drinking. I have to stop drinking beer after my 3rd. I can possibly do 4 beers if spread over 2-3 hours. I guess this happens with old age. :eek:

Anyway, if I'm not drinking, I don't even think about how much I'm drinking. I just drink when I want.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

As a teetotaller for 364 days a year - seconded!

I was 14/15 or so and got served at a local shop. Had no idea that was even possible, at least 3 years off the mark! Confidence, height and facial hair = young beer.

12. bartelby macrumors Core

I like to drink. I like getting drunk too. But I know my limits and I can also behave myself when drunk.
    Having just spent a week in Paris I think I drank alcohol with every meal, except breakfast.
    On the last night I was there my friend had some of his friends round for a drink and food. The alcohol certainly helped the evening, the non english speakers attempted to speak english (very well, as it happened) and I spoke French (very badly:eek:). We all had a good laugh at each other and had fun

Without the booze it would have been a long and awkward night for all of us.

13. nineteentwelve macrumors regular

Yeah, but my facial hair was just fluff! Fluff, damn it!

14. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

15 or 16 is when me and my friends started. parties. friends basement, ect...

wasnt ever a problem.

15. Caezar macrumors 6502

I started to drink at around the age of 16.

When I moved to the US a few years back, I was in my early 30s and I did not have the right to buy a beer on Sunday. So much for the land of the free... :mad:

16. big_malk macrumors 6502a

I started drinking about 15 in the UK. Had a few nights I'd rather forget, and a few a don't remember much of! My friends and I got into some pubs at 15, and sold at quite a few shops.

Now I'm 20, I still drink and get drunk, but not as much and not as often. Drunk is a relative term, I don't take it to the point where I can't walk or talk or don't have a sense of decency, or right and wrong.

I think people who say it stupid to get drunk are thinking about the stereotypical drunk - it's only stupid to take it too far!

17. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Started at 18, so just a few years early. I had already graduated high school and started college, and did it with a couple friends one evening at home. I've yet to go to a bar or club to get drunk, but have on occasion had a drink or two for dinner when out. Other than that, I rarely have alcohol in the home and drink once every few months or so. It's a nice feeling to be tipsy, but it's not worth everything that comes with it.

18. silbeej macrumors 6502a

In the US here, i don't drink, had a little last summer (19). However, the kids in my high school and even middle school are partying it up and getting wasted, things that my friends and i didn't do and this was only 4 years ago. the youth are getting ruined these days.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Started at 15 or 16, and have been doing it since. I did try to reduce the number of beers I had because I wanted to become a faster jogger/runner, and that worked out for some months, but that's it.

What happened on that 1 day? Did you succumb to the temptation?

20. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I'm a regular drinker, but don't like to be drunk, so only drink in moderate quantities.

Like others here, there was always alcohol at home and I was allowed to try - in very small quantities - as quite a small child (I seem to remember drinking tiny glasses or watered-down wine on special occasions as young as 6 or 7). Hence, it never really had the 'taboo/excitement' factor for me, so I was never likely to go to the extremes that some people do with it.

These days I like a decent English ale, or a glass of red wine, but one is generally quite enough :)

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just a glass of champagne on new years.

22. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I personally still don't drink (I'm 20) although I figure I'll have some alcohol on occasion once I turn 21. But among my friends who do drink they either started around early Junior year (so 16 years old or so) or once they came to college (18 years old)

23. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I took my first real drink when I was 18. Drank from time to time for the next 3 years. Now I rarely if ever drink. I just don't enjoy it even though getting drunk can be fun. I'd much prefer to drink a Coke or sweet tea.

jon

24. Annndy! macrumors regular

Annndy!

I started when I was around 16. Seems like that's the average age for the typical US teenager.

25. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i was 18 or so, but i've never been a huge drinker. just a bit here and there.