What all call be upgraded on a Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Joe Bannon, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Joe Bannon macrumors regular

I'm curious as to what all can be upgraded on a mac pro. I only got my first Mac a year ago, so I'm curious. Example, can the CPUs be replaced. I do know about the memory, I added more from OWC.

2. matt321 macrumors member

Well... your CPU's can be replaced but you're already at the top of the line for Harpertown. (Unless you want an extra 200mhz, in which case you can go for 2 Xeon X5492 @3.4Ghz)

The new Nehalem chips won't work due to socket/architecture changes.

You can upgrade to 32gb of Ram. (8 x 4Gb chips)

At the moment the 8800gt and 3870 are your only options for *upgrading* your graphics. (Or the Quadro FX 5600 if you need Professional Graphics)

You can also add a RAID configuration, either SATA or SAS (though SAS will cost you the drives plus the Apple Raid Card whereas SATA can be made into RAID 0, 1, or 1+0 (sometimes called 10) through Disk Utility)

You could add a Blu-Ray Drive since there are 2 extra SATA connectors on board. It does you no good (really) in OS X and those 2 extra connectors do NOT show up under bootcamp so this is kind of a wash...

Probably the best upgrade you could do would be either Solid State Drives or Velociraptors from WD. (Or a graphics upgrade if you have a 2600xt)

Ram is always good but it depends what you do?

What are your complete specs?

3. yomibro macrumors regular

You can always upgrade your number of AAPL shares with that extra money and watch it grow...... :)

4. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Unless it keeps going down. Its $87 right now, it was $200 not long ago...