What alternatives are there for pre 08 MP (OSX only)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jemo07, Mar 15, 2008.

1. jemo07 macrumors regular

Hello.

I see the 8800 is not coming any time soon (if ever) :mad: and I was looking for an alternative ASAP for my 7300 and the Expensive and old X1900 is not something I will deal with again as I replaced two before just asking Apple for my money back and got the 7300 instead. I don't game nor use Windows on my systems so it is of not interest to me what is been done for the gaming on Windows.

Could someone comment on what they have and how it is working out for them for Pro Apps?

TIA

JM

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. MikeL macrumors 6502

That's not "it." The 2600 is also available.

Stop being so definitively "helpful."

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Which runs slower than the X1900 and is more expensive than a flashable X1950.

Stop being so definitively "corrective"; and don't drag this out, please.

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Do you have any links to directions on how to flash an X1950? I'm considering trying it. Thanks.

6. jemo07 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, searching for this option to find a candidate card I can flash. :rolleyes:
    I'll give that a try.

JM

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Just get the ATI HD 2600xt

9. jemo07 thread starter macrumors regular

Has there been much success with this card on older Mac Pros? I know it lacked the wow factor pre 10.5.2 update on the 2.66 GHz systems such as mine.:confused:

10. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There is no Apple X1950 ROM. You have to use the X1900 one and upclock it. Similar process to running an overclocked 8800 GT natively in OS X, or running an 8800 GTS with an upclocked 8800 GT ROM.

12. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

There aren't many options in the "un-hacked, un-flashed, ready-to-go for Mac Pro" realm of cards available for the 2006 PCIe 1.0 Mac Pro... your options are pretty much this, for the "ready-to-go":

1. ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro
    (Alot of people are reporting good success with this card in the older Mac Pro, it seems to work fine, and people are having success with this when the X1900 has been giving them problems

2. The 7300 GT (ie default stock card)
    It works, it's cheap, it's not fast, but it's OK for non-gaming purposes, and it's pretty stable

3. The ATI X1900 (which you and many seem to have problems with)

-------
    Those seem to be the only cards that Apple is giving the OK on, although others seem to have success flashing PC cards with a Mac ROM, but you do that at your own risk. Good luck!

13. jemo07 thread starter macrumors regular

1. ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro
    (Alot of people are reporting good success with this card in the older Mac Pro, it seems to work fine, and people are having success with this when the X1900 has been giving them problems

Bit the bullet and got the 2600 from Apple, it is running without a problem. Booth of my 23" :apple:CD are looking as beautifully as ever. Aperture is a little Snappier but nothing remarkable like what I have seen the 8800 do on the new MP. Kept the 7300 to run my Cintiq 12WX, and now things feel a bit snappier! :D

Thanks you all for the input.

JM

14. pipomolo42 macrumors member

I'm currently running a 7900GS in my Quad 2.66 Mac Pro. Someone else is running a 7900GTO is his. Works fine in Tiger and Leopard.

Only "drawback" is that it involves soldering, modding, flashing. Also had to use NVinject in Tiger.

In the end, the card performs much better, and generate much less heat than the original, passively cooled 7300GT, but it is a bit more noisy.

15. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Ooohh.. the 7900s were nice cards. How'd you do that, exactly? Where'd the soldering/modding come in?

16. jemo07 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, update on this, yes it was snappier, but for some reason now it is not?
    I get lot's of beachballs now while in Aperture 2.0 when editing my images?

I think it had to do with the fact that the both the ATI 2600XT and Nvidia 7300 are simultaneously running in the MP?

I have two ACD 23" connected on the 2600 and the Cintiq 12WX on the 7300 so i take it that this combination is not suitable?

Is there anyone out there running 3 monitors of the 2600XT? I could try to get a Y splitter cable to try an put all the monitors on the 2600XT? Is this worth it?

I am not sure if this when awed after the latest security patch since I was just running two monitors just before and I add back the 7300 right before the upgrade.... :confused:

TIA,

JM