What am I doing wrong? (Color Calibration)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Lord Appleseed, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

So I have my MacBook Air since about two weeks and I am happy with it...
    The screen is an LG, but i didn't notice any problems whatsoever. No flickering, no dizziness from looking at it, no problem with the text, nothing.
    However, I am not entirely happy with the Color-Profile, so I decided to follow the advice of many people here and calibrate the screen to create a better profile.
    Problem is, I can't seem to get the colors where I want them when using the internal Calibration-Assistent. The grey of the program windows always ends up too light or too blueish. I favor the strong, warm grey of the standard Color LCD profile.
    When going through the calibration the first box is the most useless, since i can't get the apple in the center to take the same color as the background at all. After altering it I cant even get back to the color it had preset.

I tried SuperCal for calibration but the outcome is not very pleasing either, as the profile mostly ends up too blueish too, and the effect on the grey is also negative.
    Changing the white point wont do, since the white then ends up yellowish or slightly pink, and the default color profile doesn't have a yellowish white either.

Now I don't know if you can totally follow me, but I hope you guys might have some advice for me as for how to make this work out.

Thanks in advance :)

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well with Supercal - the last stage before Gamma - you can fine tune the grey point to give it that slight color shift you want. On the grey spiral page, click around and you will see that the color shifts. You probably want to go a little to the bottom right.

Trial and error until you get the result you want.

Of course it could be a case that you prefer the color of an uncalibrated screen than a calibrated one, and so should just stick to that if color accuracy is not the most paramount thing to you.

:)

3. Lord Appleseed thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

Thank's for the reply. The problem with the grey point spiral on supercal is that it also affects the white, so it would turn the white yellowish.

But you might be right that the standard color profile is the best fit for me. I tried to calibrate my screen so often and i am getting sick of it. Maybe I am just too much of a perfectionist...

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Why not search for the Calibration files (.icc) others have created for the LG & Samsung displays, you may find one that works for you and save on the hasstle ;)

I am using the default on my 13 in LG and for my use the profile works, admittedly the colours will not be accurate. Thing with the Air`s display (and many others) is that you are forced to make compromise`s and this makes the calibration that much harder. I found calibrating my 2.4Ghz 4.1 MacBook Pro was reasonably easy as it has a higher quality of screen, and you can "hit all the markers" the Air you have to balance what`s important as you wont get it all...

5. Lord Appleseed thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

Sadly all profiles that were posted on MR don't fit at all.

What's the screens code?
    Mine is LP133WP1-TJA3

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Agreed all screens are slightly different, maybe you will find one that`s closer or a little easier to cal.

Same LG/Philip's, I dont have any complaint with mine factory cal is good enough for my use. I have also tried most of the icc profiles found here on MR, although some offer greater colour accuracy, there was always a trade off in colour banding, contrast etc.

Chasing perfect coloration on the Air, will only lead to frustration, for many the factory Cal is probably as good as it`s going to get. I am sure Apple are more than aware to the limitations of this type of display and have set up the default profile to offer the best possible compromise, just a thought...

7. nebulos macrumors 6502a

nebulos

you did the advanced calibration? and are moving both the left and right sliders?

almost every time i've calibrated, i go through all the agonizing steps only to end up with something worse at the end. i did have much better luck recently though. i know it's super annoying, but i think it probably makes a big difference that each step is done correctly, and if you can muster up the courage to do it one more time, if you haven't done so already, i would try to do one, with the extra 'advanced' steps, very carefully. you should be able to get the apple to nearly disappear.

maybe you a genius can help you?

8. Mandork macrumors member

I had a very hard time making the first apple disappear as well, and I couldn't find the default setting for that first apple, so I left it all alone.

9. Lord Appleseed thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

Yeah I am doing advanced calibration. It gets better the more you try, but it's always worse than the default profile.

The preset value of the first apple-box is the best.

10. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

The MacBook Air only shows 45% of the available color gamut vs MacBook Pro shows 75%