WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? [getting video but no audio]

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nychot, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Nychot macrumors 6502a

I'm getting video but no audio using the hdmi out of the Apple multifunction adaptor from the rmb to the hdmi in of a new 27" asus monitor. Shouldn't the adaptor carry both video AND audio. I've hooked up my MBA to the monitor mini dp to hdmi and it works fine, getting both audio and video. Anyone? TIA.

2. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Seems like a faulty adapter assuming the hdmi cable was previously ok

3. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do I have to change the sound output in preferences from internal (rmb) to the asus monitor? could that be the problem.

4. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I never had too just plug in and it works, not like the old days when you had to fiddle around

Have you got a TV to plug the rMB in to check the Apple side of the equation to rule out the adapter

5. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

I do. I'll see if i have to make the change in the sound prefs. if that doesn't work, I'll try the TV. my mini display port adapter to hdmi from my 2014 mba to the monitor works fine.

6. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Let us know

But generally my son has a video playing he walks up to the TV plugs in the HDMI the sound auto mutes (same as headphones) and the TV plays both sound and video

7. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ill check it in sound preferences tonight (after the Giants Patriots game, lol) and if it doesnt work i'll check tv tomorrow.

8. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

I just got back from the Rangers game; at least one of our teams had a good day.

I find that re-starting the RMB and then plugging in the HDMI cable fixes most issues.

BJ

9. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tnx, I'll try that too. I'm sure it's something minor or stupid that I haven't done. My main goal is to have my mac mini and my mba hooked up to the 27" monitor via hdmi, but be able every so often to hook in the rmb. I'll ket you guys know the outcome.

10. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Today I changed the setting in Sound in Preferences to the external monitor and video and audio worked perfectly. So that mystery has been solved. However, when I close the lid --clamshell mode -- video and audio disappear and monitor says no hdmi connection. Just for reference, I'm running this test with no external keyboard or mouse etc connected, and no power cord into rmb. Apple says that is mandatory in order to be in clamshell. But shouldn't I be able to be in clamshell without kb-mouse/trackpad and power connected? It would seem so, but it does't seem to work just standing alone. Any thoughts? TIA

11. Dwayne82 macrumors member

Use insomniaX to deactivate the lid sleep function of your rMB when it's required. This should solve your problem.

12. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

I actually have insomniax that I use to listen to internet radio with lid closed. tried it with the new monitor and it works fine.But I should be able to use clamshell mode without an app. I'll try apple's rule and set up my bluetooth kb and trackpad and power and see if that works. Otherwise if anyone's looking for a decent, reasonably priced 27" monitor the asus 279 fits the bill, and has two hdmi ports.

13. Dwayne82 macrumors member

Clamshell mode without an app: connect keyboard/mouse&power.
    Clamshell mode in other cases: use 3rd party apps like insomniaX or Sleepless. No native support from apple.

PS:
    Those apps are there for a reason: people want the function -> apple doesn't support the function (since years) -> people program apps for that function ;)