What am I doing wrong in transfering files to my ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by andyACEcandy, Feb 24, 2008.

1. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

Ok I converted a movie and put it on my ipod and it worked. I delete the movie off my computer seeing as though I don't need it anymore since it's on my ipod...... I convert a movie trailer and put it on my ipod but then my movie disappears. What's that about?

If I delete it off my computer, why does it get deleted off my ipod?

Thanks

2. Joshh1 macrumors regular

Joshh1

It 'syncs' with itunes.. So if anything is deleted from iTunes.. its deleted from the iPod on the next sync.

3. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I never deleted it from itunes... I just deleted the file from my computer haha

So you're saying that I have to have the file on my computer at all times in order for it to work on my ipod?

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Basically if you are going to sync because iTunes will attempt to make the two (computer and Touch) be the same.

5. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is there any way to not have it sync? And instead treat my ipod as if it were an external hard drive?

6. EdwardsNH macrumors member

Sure. Set it to manually manage. Then just drag what you want from "library" to your iPod.

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Exactly. If it syncs automatically you have to have the file on your computer. Try playing the movie in iTunes, an error message will appear and an exclamation mark (!) will appear next to the title.

Plug your iPod in and select the Summary tab, select "Manually Manage My Music" and then select "Apply". Then drag and drop anything from iTunes onto your iPod, you can then delete it from your computer without it deleting off your iPod.