Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kimmie92592

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2013
California
I've been pricing imac in the Education store and when you price the core i7 with 3 TB fusion and M390 it comes out more expensive than the core i7 with 3 TB fusion and M395. By about $25. Why is this? What am I missing here? Shouldn't the M390 be cheaper than the M395?

Fdefulvio

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2015
I've been pricing imac in the Education store and when you price the core i7 with 3 TB fusion and M390 it comes out more expensive than the core i7 with 3 TB fusion and M395. By about $25. Why is this? What am I missing here? Shouldn't the M390 be cheaper than the M395?
The lower model is only a $100 discount. The higher model is a $200 discount. The model with the M395 is a better deal.

makrom

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2015
Okay thank you. That's weird they do it that way.

Well it kinda makes sense. A better tier is basically a set of upgrades. Usually, the tier upgrade costs more than upgrading a single component, but less than the upgrades combined. Therefore, it's more expensive to buy a lower tier and upgrade the components individually than just buying a higher tier. Obviously your case is a bit more complicated since you compare both tiers with upgrades, but from a pricing point of view, it's the same principle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.