Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Brand new 27" iMac w/2.8GHz i7 chip and 8GB RAM = $2,339

Refurbed 27" iMac w/2.8GHz i7 chip and 4GB RAM = $1,849
8GB memory set = $600
Total cost = $2,449

I realise that memory is cheaper from non-Apple vendors, but I have tried that in the past and the non-Apple memory chips would not work. I am happy with Apple refurbs (my current iMac was a refurb), but unless there is a compelling reason - such as less chance of screen issues - it makes no sense to get the refurb.

Thoughts?

flight

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
You could purchase a 2x2GB set for less than $100 to add to the 4GB already installed.

iMAVERICKam

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009
I've always purchased RAM from Crucial.com and Newegg.com and never had a problem. Unless you really want a totally brand new iMac, you should really consider the refurb and just get RAM from those sites.

If on Newegg.com check reviews and purchase from reputable brands: often people will say "works great in my <SPECIFIC BRAND, SPECIFIC MODEL>."

rayward

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
You could purchase a 2x2GB set for less than $100 to add to the 4GB already installed.

A-Ha! This is what I'm missing. Didn't realise the new model had 4 slots (mine has only 2).

FWIW, Crucial was one of the non-Apple suppliers I tried when upgrading the RAM on my current iMac, and it wouldn't boot up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.