What am I not doing properly? Winterboard won't display themes

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iFanaddic, Sep 11, 2010.

1. iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

I've been searching solutions for this issues for the past week, none of the themes I download via cydia or SSH into my phone displays any changes, the only theme that displayed any changes was the saurik theme.

does anyone know what I could possibly be doing wrong?

Please don't tell me search because searching I did, macforums, multitouchfans, modmymi, macthemes you name it I searched it. I read tutorials, and followed the instructions carefully but it just doesn't work.

All I wanna do is change the icons on my iPhone, nothing else. Should be simple.. right?

2. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

did you turn on 'summerboard' in the winterboard app?

3. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

I tried, did not change anything, I turned it back off.

4. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

Are only the themes you want displayed "checked" in the Winterboard app? Sounds like you may have more than one them "checked" in Winterboard? Also remember to press the "Respring" button in Settings/ Winterboard to turn the changes on.

5. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

the 2 things I have checked is the theme and "the white icon labels"

6. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

Try checking then unchecking them then return to the Winterboard Settings screen and press "Respring". Your device should restart and the changes made.... The only other thing could be a problem with the theme? Are you on an iPhone 4, is the theme iPhone 4 compatible?

7. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

how do I know if they're compatible? most of the themes i got were from macthemes and said retina HD theme. But I assumed those that didnt were also compatible they just wouldnt look as nice..

8. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

Did you SSH them into your "Themes" folder? Are the folders listed with the ".theme" extention, i.e. "Newicons.theme" They may not work otherwise?

9. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Is your theme at the top of the list? Maybe that will make a difference.

Also, my experience (not much really) has been that if a theme is properly made for the iPhone 4/iOS4, which means SummerBoard can be turned off, you don't need to bother with "white icon labels".

The only thing checked off on my phone is the Black'UPS HD theme with SummerBoard off and the labels are bright white. If I disable the theme the labels remain as white as they were before installing WinterBoard.

I don't know what would cause the themes to not show up. I hope you get this fixed soon. :)

10. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

My theme is on top of the list, nothing. And in my case if I don't check anything and respring the icon labels will turn grey.

11. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

Is it maybe the iretina theme? That is a SBSettings theme. It wont change the springboard at all...

12. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

No no they're not SbSetting themes, they're springboard themes that are Retina display compatible AKA HD.

Attached Files:

13. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

OK, so check when you have SSH'd the files over to the themes folder that you don't have a folder structure that is too deep... I have done this once or twice when decompressing archive themes and not noticing that the author had an extra folder level within the theme archive...

e.g., make sure you don't have something like...

var/stash/Themes.xxxxx/name.theme/extrafolderthatshouldntbehere/Bundles/

it should just be like...

var/stash/Themes.xxxxx/name.theme/Bundles/

14. supervelous macrumors 6502

Do you have Backgrounder on and always enabled? I was just trying to make changes via Winterboard and when I'd check and uncheck my items and leave it wasn't respringing....so I resprung manually but when I came back the changes I made via Winterboard weren't in effect. I then realized it was because Winterboard was running in the Background via Backgrounder. I made an exception so that it always closes when minimized and now my changes are taking effect.

Probably not your issue, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

15. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

I dont have backgrounder. but thanks

16. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Ill make sure that's not the case, thank you

17. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

I just realized that the theme does take effect but all the apple icons stay the same.

All the previous themes I was trying didnt support all the other non-apple icons, but when I installed a theme that supported a lot of icons I realized it did take effect, but not on the phone's default icons.