What amazing customer service (MB update)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chaoticbear, Feb 26, 2008.

1. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

I ordered a high-end refurbed MB on Saturday night, and it said that it would ship on Monday or Tuesday. It ended up leaving this morning, after I learned about the upgrade, and was understandably upset because I didn't even have my obsolete computer!

So I called them this afternoon to see if I could stop shipment on it and order the new MB instead, and they told me they're sending the 2.4 GHz new model instead!

What nice people.

2. aneftp macrumors 68040

did you have to pay the difference between the refurbished price and the new macbook price?

3. mshedd081 macrumors newbie

I bought the MBP and it arrived yesterday. Called apple this morning and they were more than happy (spoke w/ Christopher) to return my "opened" MBP and waiving the restocking fee. I was offered 350.00 to keep the same one I already had. I opted for that because I used the edu discount and that means I had about 550 off the price of the MBP total (350 back from apple and 200 off with edu discount). Honestly I could not beat that because I paid less than the refurb price. I am very pleased with my customer service. I know I currently have the less than top of the line MBP but this is all I neeeeed!!!

4. chaoticbear thread starter macrumors 6502

They did it automatically for me, so they better not have! No way should they send me a bill for it, right?

5. f1 macrumors 6502

You should be billed for it, why should you get a brand new macbook at the price of a refurb one, not like apple screwed you over or anything.

6. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

If you're getting the new one then you're paying for it :) You're not getting it for the same price as the older version :) They probably didn't ship it yet so they simply changed your order.

7. chaoticbear thread starter macrumors 6502

No, it would be wrong of apple to bill me the difference. It was either replace it with the newer model, or listen to me complain when it came in and I was suddenly able to buy it for a hundred dollars less, and then have to return it and buy another one. Under any other circumstances, they would have just replaced it with a newer refurb, but since it just came out, they didn't have a refurb to use.

And good luck trying to get it out of the card I used to pay for the order, because there's not enough money there, and even if there were, I would initiate a chargeback. If they wanted the difference, they would have contacted me this morning and asked if I wanted to spend the extra 200 dollars on today's MB.

8. f1 macrumors 6502

Well keep us posted. I'll be astonished if apple actually sends you the new version at the same price as your refurb. Also you might want to call them back just to check up on everything. The CSR could've misunderstood what you said. He/She could've interpreted what you told them as "Hi cancel my order and charge me for a new macbook". Better to find out now, than have an unexpected 200 dollar charge on your card and having to attempt a chargeback.

9. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Apple isn't going to give you a better laptop for the same price as a lower one. You will get exactly what you paid for. I would follow up on your order. Can't you check your order online through Apple? I would get on your account and see what computer they sent you and what they charged.

10. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

11. catfish743 macrumors 6502

catfish743

Of course they're nice people. They use macs :D

12. chaoticbear thread starter macrumors 6502

The order status page still says that it's the 2.2 GHz refurb that I ordered, and no additional charges have been posted, but I'd expect that since I ordered it before the new product launch, and it'd be weird of them to let me know about that in advance. I'll call them again on my lunch today (I spent 15 minutes on hold yesterday), and verify.

13. chaoticbear thread starter macrumors 6502

Update: I called today to confirm, and the other CSR didn't know anything about a switch in computers. She said that someone might have made a change and not made a note of it, or the other CSR might have misspoken, and that I'll find out Friday when I get the computer.

Surprise box in the mail!

14. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

That's a sweet deal! Really, the performance difference is negligible. I would totally have taken the deal you did. Very nice.

15. desiringGod macrumors regular

I bought a refurb MBP 2.2 10 days ago for 1699 (my old computer broke and had to have a new one - couldn't wait any longer). I called today and talked with customer service about the situation and they refunded the $250 difference between the price I paid and the new refurb price.

That is excellent customer service.

That $250 will pay for most of my applecare or my time capsule.

16. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Hope you got the 2.4 for the same price.

17. chaoticbear thread starter macrumors 6502

Conclusion! (it came in today and I'm typing this on it)

It's the 2.2 GHz model from the last revision. Oh well. But I did get them to give me a $100 dollar price adjustment offer.

18. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers