Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fruitycups

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Thread title. Just curious on what the general consensus is regarding the amount of backlight bleeding that makes it unacceptable.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
If I can only notice it with a black screen and high brightness.

fruitycups

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
If it is a few spots that are very minimal, then it is fine.

Just asking cause I have 6 small spots on one side but its unnoticeable unless your on a black screen.

have to decide whether to gamble and live with it.

but then again, 6 is quite number of them.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
Sounds like its not really too bad, you could easily get a worse one. I'd use it for a couple weeks (whatever your stores exchange policy) and if it does bother you return it because hey its an expensive device. But its mere existence, eh....

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I found a spot underneath the top power button today, but only when I hold it at that extreme angle you see in everyone else's pics. Checked my iPad 2 and it has no light leak. Hubby's iPad 2 has mild light leak, but he's had it a year and never noticed it until today.

As long as I can watch a movie (letterbox) in a dark room and not see light coming out of that corner, I'll keep this iPad. It has no dead pixels and good, even brightness, so I'd rather have that than a corner of light that I don't notice except at sharp viewing angles I won't use.

LanEvo

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
NorCal
Just asking cause I have 6 small spots on one side but its unnoticeable unless your on a black screen.

have to decide whether to gamble and live with it.

but then again, 6 is quite number of them.

Mine has 4, I'll post a pic when I get home tonight.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Haven't noticed any on mine in normal use - can't say that I spend much time staring at an all black screen with the brightness all the way up.

It'sMyPrecious

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
Between heaven and hell
Ah, I just discovered mine has backlight bleeding--about a 1" line at the top left. Only noticeable if I turn it on to full brightness and look at it at at angle. I don't know, I normally am a perfectionist, so I'm a little :( that my iPad isn't perfect, but oh well, it's not like I stare at it everyday at that angle with full brightness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.