What an iPhone 4 app will look like on an iPad? (Size Simulation)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Theappmachine, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Theappmachine macrumors member

Theappmachine

Hi there :)

we found out something AMAZING while working on version 2.0 of our app.

We first tested the new iPhone 4 resolution, and to see how many pixels can fit on such a small screen was already INCREDIBLE.

But we went even further, and wanted to check what an iPhone 4 compatible app would look like on an iPad. The result is UNBELIEVABLE. I don't know why NO ONE talks about it, but actually an iPhone 4 app can turn at almost FULL SCREEN on an iPad!!

You should see with your very own eyes to understand how impressive this is. We posted some pictures on our blog, and I want to share them with you here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

p.s. I know these pictures are pretty big, but I think you should see'em in real size to understand.

2. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Looks promising! Cant wait for it to be released here in Sweden

3. TheBearman macrumors 6502

Thanks for this. I was hoping what you're showing would be the case and it is the reason that I haven't picked up several iPad apps. Some developers are simply "resizing" their application, calling it HD and charging a premium price for it. I know that this is a select few and several have added content to justify the price, but I'm taking a hard line on any developer who is simply resizing their application and reselling it.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Yep, we were just talking about it last night in another thread. This should be front page news, because it's really going to be nice when using iPhone apps on an iPad.

Here's a question: do you (or can you) plan to take advantage of the differing display sizes depending on what device is being used?

For example, no one wants to go below a certain font size on the iPhone, in order for text to be easily readable on its smaller screen.

But with the same app on the iPad's much larger screen, a smaller font would allow more text to be displayed at one time.

Thanks for the post!

5. Theappmachine thread starter macrumors member

Theappmachine

I understand what you mean, and the iPhone 4 resolution will probably avoid porting for a lot of apps. So there will be more "hd" apps that just works out of the box for both iPhone (any version) and ipad.

IPad specific version are welcome, but many apps really don't need a complete porting. This will be good for both users and developers I think :)

6. MVPinFLA macrumors 6502

I was wondering about this very thing. Thanks so much for the info and pics.

7. PhantomZone macrumors 6502

Good point really....it'll put an end to developers charging loyal customers (the same price or more) a second time for an interface resizing :rolleyes:

then again...i can see some thinking about charging for the i4 version as well :eek:

8. Theappmachine thread starter macrumors member

Theappmachine

Well... actually during the wwdc Keynote Steve Jobs said that native cocoa touch app elements will be render at the correct size in order with the screen resolution. Is sounds like the iOs 4 has an intelligent resolution capability to show text and elements at the proper size.

Jobs said this about apps running on iPhone 4 and older iPhone versions... but is probably true also for the iPad. I don't remember the name right now, but there's actually a name for this intelligent scaling...

I agree with you, this should be front page news and I don't understand why almost no one is talking about, because it really sounds great to me!

9. Theappmachine thread starter macrumors member

Theappmachine

You're pretty welcome :)

10. Theappmachine thread starter macrumors member

Theappmachine

Actually because of this new iPhone 4 feature, things should go in the opposite way. More hd apps for the same price working on every iOs device :)

11. Monk Edsel macrumors regular

Apple may move to allow iPhone 4 apps to run on iPad without pixel doubling, but I doubt it; jailbroken iPads are already capable of running the current crop of iPhone apps this way (with some additional iPad tweaking.) I think Apple will continue to handicap iPhone apps on the iPad in some fashion, no matter how high the iPhone app's native resolution, simply because they don't want to cannibalize development of native iPad apps (that properly utilize the design and scale of the iPad platform) with iPhone apps that are designed to be used on a device with a much smaller screen. Having the iPad overrun with apps desinged for iPhone is the last thing Apple wants. It's just not going to happen like that.

12. Theappmachine thread starter macrumors member

Theappmachine

So you think that an iPhone 4 compatible app will run on an iPad as classic iPhone app, at 1/4 of the resolution and that the 2x button will just double the pixel size without taking advantage of the higher app resolution?

Sounds really catastrophic like this...