What announcement made you go WOW

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by coolant113, Jan 11, 2008.

1. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

Back in the day which apple announcement made you look at apple and go "WOW, i really think apple is going to go somewhere"? Which one where you impressed by the most??

For me all of them make me go "wow they are ahead of everybody else".
    :apple::apple:

2. alexprice macrumors 6502a

For me its the iPhone/iPod Touch. Or the Aluminum Portable look.

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

At the time I was excited about the G5.

Clearly, I'm not the best technology analyst.

I also thought Aperture looked amazing.

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

3 come to mind:

1. The Macintosh, then a friend brought one over - WOW.
    2. The new low-cost macs: Classic, LC, and IIsi.
    3. The biggest - the switch to Intel. About time!! Now look...

5. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

the 2 that i remember the most were the cube (and seeing the cube in person), and the G5.

i've being building/fixing/hacking computers for 30 years, and both of those left me speechless. well, except for 'WOW' :)

to me, everything since seems to be more 'improvement' than 'WOW'.

6. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Before I got a Mac: Time Machine, Boot Camp.
    After I got a Mac: iPhone/iPod Touch.

Boot Camp didn't make me go "WOW", but it's one of things that allowed me to switch to a Mac, as I would be able to run some programs that are not available on OS X.

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Well for me it was reading about Copland the next generation Mac OS that was supposed to be Mac OS 8. Until after many delays and problems it was finally crushed with the purchase of Next leading to Mac OS X. Until then I was just thinking wow Apple is going places.

My next epiphany about Apples future success was with OS X's final release, about 4-5 years late. I thought this is it Apple will rule the OSes by 2010, until I tried it 10.0 and 10.1 where slow and most of my apps where still classic. It was not until 10.2 that I made the full transition since Apple finally worked out the kinks and made it run much faster.

Most recently would be Intel and the possibility of them selling the OS to any PC owner, still waiting.

8. bbergie macrumors regular

bbergie

For me, the announcement that tops the list is the introduction of the 12- and 17-inch PowerBooks, gorgeous and ahead of their time.

I'd also like to give a nod to Apple's ads. They're always very creative and memorable.

9. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

10. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

Clamshell iBook. That's when I knew Apple was going somewhere different (again!).

11. MacBoy108 macrumors 6502

MacBoy108

I remember before I was into Apple as much as I am now, I saw an add for the first iPod nano and I thought it was amazing when they compared it to a pencil in thickness.

12. Chromako macrumors member

+1 for me. I was twelve, I think... I used Apple before then but it wasn't special or anything until we got the G4. The Cube was also sooo cute. :)

13. thesdx macrumors 6502a

Probably the biggest WOW for me was the iPhone. At the time, I wasn't really reading rumors or anything, so it came completely out of the blue to me. The iMac G4 was also a big wow. That's pretty much what told me that Apple was more than just a computer company, and what ultimately made me switch to the Mac.

14. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

the original Macintosh.

it was like something from a sci-fi show. everything seemed so obvious (WYSIWYG, the mouse, icons and folders, ...) but everything else was command lines and terminal interfaces

I still have an original brochure. Remember the tennis shoe ? :D

15. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

The original Macintosh was amazing, but the iMac G4 is the most creative oem pc design that I have ever seen, and ultimately became my Mac.

16. cyberjunky macrumors regular

Im relatively new to Apple, well about a year, but id go with leopard, of course being the most up to date product would means its going to be superior to the previous OS's but of all the operating systems i have ever looked at, leopard is beautiful, it did not take long for me to get a bit bored with tigers look and feel here and there, for the most part brushed metal and the blue angled folders always irritated me. I solved this using Uno to UnoShade theme the OSX window manager making it look a tad bit more Leopardy, and folders with Agua.

For the most part though, Leopard is just beautiful, i prefer the gun metal menu bar over the semi translucent one though.

17. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

it was the iMac G3. Clamshell ibook G3... the recent announcements lack that wow factor.

18. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

i think it would have to be the intel switch and the iphone were the 2 the were most surprising

19. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Apple
    Time Machine. Simple backup (it's got a way to go, but it's a great start)
    iPhone's wobbly buttons (Just because)

Microsoft - SeaDragon / Photosynth Bought out the tech to a degree, but that doesn't stop it being jaw dropping

Presentation: Job's build up to the iPhone at the keynote. Simple, effective. Built up that crowd :D

20. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

21. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

The Macworld when Mac OS X was announced was very impressive. Technologically Mac OS X was a huge feat for Apple. I don't think there are many companies with Apple's technical abilities that cater for the consumer market.

22. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Possibly the iMac G4? I didn't see it at the time, but having watched most of the major past ones on YouTube etc... the G4 iMac one seemed most impressive.

The latest iMac is my favourite design though...

23. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

quad g5 liquid cool. putting liquid cooling in a stock consumer machine? yea sign me up.

like everyone else said, iphone. Has there ever been a hype machine so big that delivered on almost every promise? The last time I felt something delivered on the hype of that scale was final fantasy 7 for Playstation. :)

24. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

For Me it has to be the T.A.M. followed by the G4 Cube then the G3 & G4 iMacs (what a disappointment the G5 iMac was:( ) All the above blew me away at the time of introduction. The closest thing lately was the iPhone which would be in my top ten. Maybe I'm getting jaded in my old age but were has the wow factor gone, even the Macbook Air is a little yawn IMO?

25. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

The iPod! I remember thinking after it was first announced, and confirmed after getting to try one very early on, that someday Apple might become better known for its influence on music than on computers. And in some circles, that's kind of true, although thankfully not in many circles. There are still people out there that don't even know Apple makes the iPod, although I think it was more widespread a few years ago.