What App do you use for Gmail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by markdu, Dec 23, 2009.

1. markdu macrumors newbie

I've started using Gmail within the last month. I'm using Gmail Notifr and using web mail. I've used Apple's Mail app. They both work okay. But I'm still hunting for the way that fits me :).

So, I'm curious how you manage your Gmail account(s).

Mark

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

3. somewhatvaguely macrumors member

somewhatvaguely

I used Mail once just to set up some sort of account, and ended up creating a gmail. I used the menu bar notifier once, but then forgot about it. So now if I want to check, I just go to the bookmark bar and click Gmail. I don't get THAT many emails that I need to check every second, anyway, and it's not even my main account.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Mail or Pine for the non=spam GMail accounts I have.

popular options, if that's what you're looking for, include Mail, Thunderbird, PostBox, and the web interface. What exactly do you not like about Mail/web interface? What features are you looking for?

5. robj macrumors regular

Mainly I use Mail.app retrieving the mails by using IMAP.

Long time ago I used google notifier, but mail does well notifying new mails.

BTW, There are some things that I can't ( or don't know how to ) do with Mail.app, like archiving messages. In this case I use directly the web page.

6. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

Mozilla Thunderbird 3.x via IMAP and ActiveSync on the iPhone.

7. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Thunderbird via IMAP. Mail.app just seems really slow compared to Thunderbird.

8. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I've alternated between the web interface, using Mailplane, which is an application designed around the web interface, Apple's Mail, and now I'm using Notify 2 (free parts right now- might upgrade), and then the web interface when necessary. I haven't found anything that I'm completely in love with yet.

9. markdu thread starter macrumors newbie

Mainly, I'm just looking for all the options out there. I liked using Mail.app for it's notification. I like the web interface of how it set up conversations, labels, and if you have a tracking number, it gives you a option to track it.

I'm still learning about all the web interface can do.

Mark

10. Forsaken macrumors regular

Forsaken

Just the website.

I used Thunderbird for a bit but I didn't really need it.

11. markdu thread starter macrumors newbie

Same here. Right now I'm trying Notify 2 and the website. I'll see if that fits me. I might give Thunderbird a try again. Used it when I was on a PC. Hadn't tried the Mac version. Hopefully it won't be as slow as Firefox.

12. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

13. mongrol macrumors regular

Mail via pop3. Set to leave on server and mark read.

14. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

i used fluid to make a Gmail "app". works wonders for me after Mail.app started not playing nicely with Gmail

15. nastebu macrumors 6502

I second the recommendation to use fluid. You can leave a gmail specific window in the dock that way.

16. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Mail with gMail via pop3.
    Spam stays with gMail, mail gets sorted and put into folders on my Mac.

I do not have to be online to type new messages, replies or read received email.
    S.

17. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I use Notify 2 as well. It's a great app to see when you've got mail. I'll then fire up Mail.app or Safari (GMail) depending on what I need.

18. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The app I use is appropriately named "Mail" and comes on any Mac. I tried Thunderbird but the GUI just never caught on and unlike Firefox, I can't change it.

19. markdu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies. This is what I'm looking for. I now have a few new things to try. (Thunderbird, Fluid, Mailplane, etc).

Merry Christmas

I'm liking the way that Fluid works. I've created an applescript that launches Gmail (Fluid) and minimize it at login. Working pretty good right now.

20. markdu thread starter macrumors newbie

I've settled on Fluid for now. It notifies me and is web based. Fluid is working good for me for Google Reader, also.

I've made an applescript that launches and minimizes the Fluid Gmail when I login.