Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vi2867

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
I was wondering what will be the best app to use with my  Watch? Will you use the default mail app? I have used Mailbox, InBox, Outlook, and Google's Gmail on my iPhone. I don't think any of these have been updated for the  Watch.

BigMovieGeek

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
I'll personally be using the native mail app. Google always seem to be a bit slow with making iOS apps. I seem to recall Google Maps taking a few months.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I was wondering what will be the best app to use with my  Watch? Will you use the default mail app? I have used Mailbox, InBox, Outlook, and Google's Gmail on my iPhone. I don't think any of these have been updated for the  Watch.

None. I'll let the iPhone Inbox app push notifications to the watch.

AbeFrohman

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
I'm hoping Mailbox offers AW support. Would love the ability to snooze, sort and delete emails into the system I've got set up already.

And of course, the ability to reply would be nice...

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
I was wondering this as well. Right now i'm using Outlook on my iPhone to a gmail account (i really like the dual direction customizable swipe options) and integrated calendar.

To receive notifications, does an app like Outlook even need to be AW aware or can it simply receive notifications the same way any other app sends notifications.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I was wondering this as well. Right now i'm using Outlook on my iPhone to a gmail account (i really like the dual direction customizable swipe options) and integrated calendar.

To receive notifications, does an app like Outlook even need to be AW aware or can it simply receive notifications the same way any other app sends notifications.

Any app on your iPhone that displays notifications will push to the watch regardless if there is a watch app or not.

JaJaWa

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2013
Hong Kong | London
Any action that is available when you swipe the notification on your iPhone is available on the Watch. I think this is 'Archive' for Gmail.

appboy

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2015
Appsville
The native email app should be getting an update for better Apple Watch compatibility. I'll be using it for now anyways.
Actually Microsoft Outlook was surprisingly good on iPhones, I wonder what the will come up with on Apple Watch.

spampy22

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2009
the Outlook app works well and shows all email clients on the Watch, Gmail, Outlook come over smoothly and can respond, archive, delete when they come over

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Cloudmail. Push gmail notifications, and you can do short replies from the watch.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
I think the main issue for Gmail is if you want instant notifications for incoming mail the native ios mail app and the google gmail app do not do this.

simonx314

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
I think the main issue for Gmail is if you want instant notifications for incoming mail the native ios mail app and the google gmail app do not do this.

The Gmail app for iPhone does provide instant push notifications. You will see the notification on your Watch too as soon as the email comes in, then you can open the native Mail app on your iPhone/Watch to read the full text after waiting a moment for the native Mail app to update.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
The Gmail app for iPhone does provide instant push notifications. You will see the notification on your Watch too as soon as the email comes in, then you can open the native Mail app on your iPhone/Watch to read the full text after waiting a moment for the native Mail app to update.

HMM interesting. That is not my experience. On my phone i get push notifications of incoming gmail from the gmail app, but not on my phone. It's only once the mail is received by the native mail app that I get the notification on my phone.

The gmail app doesn't show up in my list of apps on the watch app. Does yours?

Does anyone else have the gmail app's notifications show on the watch?

simonx314

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
HMM interesting. That is not my experience. On my phone i get push notifications of incoming gmail from the gmail app, but not on my phone. It's only once the mail is received by the native mail app that I get the notification on my phone.

The gmail app doesn't show up in my list of apps on the watch app. Does yours?

Does anyone else have the gmail app's notifications show on the watch?

In the Apple Watch companion app on the iPhone, Gmail is not listed as a Watch app, but it does appear under "Notifications", the fourth option from the top of the companion app. Make sure Gmail notifications are turned on.

bjdraw

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2008
Tampa FL
Yes, I see Gmail app notifications show up on my Watch (double check your notification settings on your iPhone). The problem is that I can only dismiss them.

I just tried the Gmail "Inbox" app and it is a little better, but still doesn't provide all the options that the "Outlook" iPhone App provides -- I believe the Watch simply displays the actionable items that would normally be shown on Notification Center, as they've matched in every case I've verified.

I may try to configured "Outlook" to retrieve my Gmail, but I really like having them separate.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
In the Apple Watch companion app on the iPhone, Gmail is not listed as a Watch app, but it does appear under "Notifications", the fourth option from the top of the companion app. Make sure Gmail notifications are turned on.

I'm looking at my apple watch companion app and now under notifications.
In the top part it shows the native apps (activity, calendar....reminders).

Below that is the section that says "mirror iphone alerts from" and has other non-native apps. I don't see gmail there.
What section do you see it? And did you do anything to have it show up there?

Can you check on your phone in the phone setting app where the gmail app is located and tell me your settings for notifications and background app refresh. I have background app refresh off (maybe this needs to be on?) and for notifications i have "all notifications" on, "show in notification center" 5, sounds on, badge app icon on and show on lock screen off. And then down below for alert style when unlocked none.

Thanks.

simonx314

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
I'm looking at my apple watch companion app...

It looks like the Apple Watch companion app, notification settings, does not show any apps that have iPhone notifications turned off. Go to the Settings app on your iPhone, not the companion app, just iPhone settings, and under "Notifications" make sure Gmail has "Allow Notifications" turned on.

Under iPhone Settings > Gmail, I have notifications on, Backgroung App Refresh on.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Ok, i figured it out. You have to have "show on lock screen" turned on in the iphone settings app for gmail to have it show in the watch companion app.

So now my question is...

Do i want both the gmail app and the native mail app to have notifications on for my watch. I only have them check my gmail account. So I'm assuming it would be redundant to have both turned on?

simonx314

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
EDIT: Gmail has a setting to notify you only about "Primary" email, not important email like I thought.

Gmail only notifies you of email that Google has marked as "important" which is way more useful to me than a notification for every single email. The emails Gmail automatically marks important tend to actually be important, like from an actual person that you know. You can also use Gmail filters to force certain emails to always be important or not.

Last edited:

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Gmail only notifies you of email that Google has marked as "important" which is way more useful to me than a notification for every single email. The emails Gmail automatically marks important tend to actually be important, like from an actual person that you know. You can also use Gmail filters to force certain emails to always be important or not.

My gmail does not do that. Is that what the gmail importance markers do?

And now I am getting the gmail notifications on my watch; I have the option of "archive" or "dismiss". What's the difference between these?

simonx314

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
My gmail does not do that...

I stand corrected. I just checked the settings in the Gmail app on my iPhone and it is set to only show notifications for "Primary" (not the social, updates, promotions and forums inbox tabs). So nevermind what I said about email being marked as important. Either way I like not getting flooded with all the update and forum email notifications.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
I stand corrected. I just checked the settings in the Gmail app on my iPhone and it is set to only show notifications for "Primary" (not the social, updates, promotions and forums inbox tabs). So nevermind what I said about email being marked as important. Either way I like not getting flooded with all the update and forum email notifications.

Where do you see that setting to allow only Primary email notifications?
Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.