What Appearance Setting Do You Use: Blue or Graphite?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Traverse, May 17, 2015.

?

Appearance Setting: Blue or Graphite

1. Blue

30 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Graphite

10 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I haven't seen one of these threads in a while (actually, I can't recall one recent one.)

Since updating to Yosemite I've noticed that I prefer the Graphite appearance setting, while in previous versions I preferred the Blue.

I'm just curious, what setting do you use in your version of OS X?

2. melb00m macrumors regular

I'm a long-time graphite user :)
    That's pretty much the first setting I manually switch... and when I do, it always reminds me of how MobileMe used to store your Mac settings, and iCloud doesn't do that any more.

3. Eithanius macrumors 65816

I've never changed that setting since 10.4 Tiger...

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

In short, both.

I use Graphite on my 13" rMBP to match its case, and on my Mac mini running Mavericks server. Most of my other Macs are on Blue, but a few such as my Graphite iMac G3 do use Graphite.

5. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

That's interesting. I never thought of that reasoning.

6. grahamperrin, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015

grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Blue.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=21350567#post21350567 includes a screenshot that includes some greening of menus, and subtle use of colours and iconography in the title bars of non-key windows.

With Flavours on Mavericks, I tried a variety of themes that default to something other than tricoloured buttons for close, minimise and zoom. (As far as I can tell, overrides are never forced – it's always possible to retain the Mavericks default for those three buttons – but I usually chose to try those themes in their entireties, as the designers had intended them to be seen.)

It seems that:
    • with OS X, I always prefer those three buttons (traffic lights) to be coloured
    • with alternatives to OS X (Lumina, GNOME, KDE and so on), I do not expect equivalent parts of the UI to be coloured.

Postscript

I prefer what Apple describes as blue 'for buttons' primarily because it allows red, amber and green (not blue) for close, minimise and zoom.

I'd like that tricolour approach, combined with grey (instead of blue) for things like textual radio buttons.

7. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

I use blue. I do like graphite, but after a while it gets boring. I like the blue on the menus.

8. luke lau macrumors regular

luke lau

Graphite makes everything look 'disabled', and on Yosemite its really weird seeing a grey monotone hue against these really vibrant UIs and app icons.

Also, its a pain in the ass to develop for. NSAquaControlTint and NSGraphiteControlTint only returns the NSTableView grid colour, which is useless, and the more important colours like the NSColor highlight colour don't change with the appearance setting, so you have to find them yourself. This is even more of a pain in the ass now thanks to Yosemite's 'Vibrant' views which cause the colours to be brighter/more contrasted than what they actually are so trying to match the actual highlight colour on the translucent menu background is near impossible

But I digress, I use blue

9. dyt1983, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: to remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

10. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Blue, with the dark mode enabled. I do wish though that apps like Safari or iTunes get a dark mode too. Looks badass.

11. JaguarGod macrumors 6502

JaguarGod

I have always loved the Graphite setting. I use "dark mode" with the graphite setting and I think it looks nice together.

12. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

I stick with blue. I wish there were a few different options so far I've had to use the Flavors app to modify that. I to use the "dark mode" and I love it, just wish finder would go dark as well.

13. JaguarGod macrumors 6502

JaguarGod

If they can get finder to be "dark" also, I think we would definitely have a winner.

14. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Blue. OSX is so dull already. If only they give us back colored icons in the sidebar, and a blue Apple menu icon.

15. JaguarGod macrumors 6502

JaguarGod

Yeah, I do still use some older PPC Macs and love seeing Tiger's UI.

16. infodriveway macrumors member

infodriveway

I was using blue, but just because I forgot to change it to graphite until I saw this thread. I guess it doesn't really matter, considering I hadn't really noticed…

17. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Lion is when OS X started to lose Aqua. Anything before Lion has a certain charm not present in later versions.

18. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Blue all the way. Graphite looks so dull and ugly.

19. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

Using f.lux and a bit of AppleScript I have my machine automatically switch to Graphite and the dark theme at nighttime. Then back to Blue and the light theme during the day.

20. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

I prefer blue for everything except the window controls. I can't explain why, but they just irk me colored so I use graphite. It is kind if dull. I wish you could control the stoplight buttons independently.

21. KALLT macrumors 601

Good point. With all the monochrome window frames and panels, the grey buttons are just not very visible. Using the OS is mostly interacting with buttons and toggles, so I want them to stand out.