What Appearance Setting Do You Use: Blue or Graphite?

Appearance Setting: Blue or Graphite

• Blue

Votes: 31 73.8%
  • Graphite

Votes: 11 26.2%

• Total voters

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I haven't seen one of these threads in a while (actually, I can't recall one recent one.)

Since updating to Yosemite I've noticed that I prefer the Graphite appearance setting, while in previous versions I preferred the Blue.

I'm just curious, what setting do you use in your version of OS X?

melb00m

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
I'm a long-time graphite user :)
That's pretty much the first setting I manually switch... and when I do, it always reminds me of how MobileMe used to store your Mac settings, and iCloud doesn't do that any more.

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
In short, both.

I use Graphite on my 13" rMBP to match its case, and on my Mac mini running Mavericks server. Most of my other Macs are on Blue, but a few such as my Graphite iMac G3 do use Graphite.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Blue.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=21350567#post21350567 includes a screenshot that includes some greening of menus, and subtle use of colours and iconography in the title bars of non-key windows.

With Flavours on Mavericks, I tried a variety of themes that default to something other than tricoloured buttons for close, minimise and zoom. (As far as I can tell, overrides are never forced – it's always possible to retain the Mavericks default for those three buttons – but I usually chose to try those themes in their entireties, as the designers had intended them to be seen.)

It seems that:
  • with OS X, I always prefer those three buttons (traffic lights) to be coloured
  • with alternatives to OS X (Lumina, GNOME, KDE and so on), I do not expect equivalent parts of the UI to be coloured.

Postscript

I prefer what Apple describes as blue 'for buttons' primarily because it allows red, amber and green (not blue) for close, minimise and zoom.

I'd like that tricolour approach, combined with grey (instead of blue) for things like textual radio buttons.

Last edited:

luke lau

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2015
Belfast
Graphite makes everything look 'disabled', and on Yosemite its really weird seeing a grey monotone hue against these really vibrant UIs and app icons.

Also, its a pain in the ass to develop for. NSAquaControlTint and NSGraphiteControlTint only returns the NSTableView grid colour, which is useless, and the more important colours like the NSColor highlight colour don't change with the appearance setting, so you have to find them yourself. This is even more of a pain in the ass now thanks to Yosemite's 'Vibrant' views which cause the colours to be brighter/more contrasted than what they actually are so trying to match the actual highlight colour on the translucent menu background is near impossible

But I digress, I use blue

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
Blue, with the dark mode enabled. I do wish though that apps like Safari or iTunes get a dark mode too. Looks badass.

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
I have always loved the Graphite setting. I use "dark mode" with the graphite setting and I think it looks nice together.

KoolStar

macrumors demi-god
Oct 16, 2006
Kentucky
I stick with blue. I wish there were a few different options so far I've had to use the Flavors app to modify that. I to use the "dark mode" and I love it, just wish finder would go dark as well.

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
I stick with blue. I wish there were a few different options so far I've had to use the Flavors app to modify that. I to use the "dark mode" and I love it, just wish finder would go dark as well.
If they can get finder to be "dark" also, I think we would definitely have a winner.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Using f.lux and a bit of AppleScript I have my machine automatically switch to Graphite and the dark theme at nighttime. Then back to Blue and the light theme during the day.

Reactions: grahamperrin

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I prefer blue for everything except the window controls. I can't explain why, but they just irk me colored so I use graphite. It is kind if dull. I wish you could control the stoplight buttons independently.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Graphite makes everything look 'disabled', and on Yosemite its really weird seeing a grey monotone hue against these really vibrant UIs and app icons.
Good point. With all the monochrome window frames and panels, the grey buttons are just not very visible. Using the OS is mostly interacting with buttons and toggles, so I want them to stand out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.