What Apple could promote to solve software install on MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blashphemy, Jan 15, 2008.

1. blashphemy macrumors member

Instead of using CDs for installation, Apple should encourage developers to instead develop software that will fit on USB drives. Meaning, you go into the store and you buy a read-only USB flash drive with the software on it.

Consider that most software takes no more than 2 GB to install. A 2 GB flash drive is $10

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211226

and would be cheaper in bulk. If profit margins are really that slim, developers can add a $10 premium to the price - I know I would pay for it even if purely for the coolness factor.

Besides the fact that USB drives are now more convenient for folks than CD/DVD's, a USB drive takes less room than a CD so it costs less to ship/is more environmentally conscious etc. It is also potentially more durable than a CD due to the fact that CD's are prone to scratches/etc. Installing things off USB is rather future-standards-proof as well, kind of - meaning, today's DVD drives won't be able to install software off the Blu-Ray discs of tomorrow, but you can just put bigger apps on bigger USB drives as time goes on and it will use the same fundamental technology.

What do you guys think?

2. 88MVP macrumors newbie

Okay, let's stop and think. How much does a blank CD cost in bulk? pennies? Why on earth would software manufacturers want to add to their costs by putting software on a USB key to meet the needs of a single niche notebook that will have a tiny market share?

Not likely to ever happen. Most software can be purchased and downloaded online if you lack access to an optical drive.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Remember that Apple's goal has never been (and never will be) to make things cheaper for the consumer. Their goal (like any corporation) is to make money. In this case, they know lots of people will buy the externals if they buy the MBAs in order to install software. That puts money in the war chest, which makes the stockholders happy.

4. blashphemy thread starter macrumors member

Still makes sense for the consumer though - consumers can use it for computers that they have optical drives for as well though.

You know you would like it if Office 08 only came on a USB drive - and what consumers want/like is in the best interests of corporations. Still waiting for everyone (including Apple) to pick up on that.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

1984: Why should manufacturers use 3-1/2" floppies? Everybody knows 5-1/4" is the only real standard (Until the the original Mac, that was the case)

1998: Why should manufacturers use USB devices like mice or keyboards or printers? It's an unused port. PS2 or parallel are just fine. Nobody makes anything for it anyway, and it's been on my motherboard for years. (Until the the original iMac, that was the case)

Granted, we're not talking about new media or kick-starting the use of an unused bus, but it's really not a bad idea, actually. If I wanted physical media, I'd like the option to have it on a USB stick. Especially with SSD drives and USB 2.0, install times might drop drastically (particularly for a lot of "keystone" apps (like anything from Adobe). Even the option to run from USB would be a boon, particularly that the MBA'a SSD is maxed out at 64GB.

6. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Its too bad all I am going to use the drive for is a reinstall of the OS and maybe take the hit for the restocking fee.