Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
I kinda like the oldschool look of the old plastic lcd displays. Got a read on a deal on a 20" for 350 plus the converter cable, 17" one for 200 plus the converter cable (i think) and a 15" one for about 125 MINUS the converter cable, in the original box, etc.

What do you all think? I can't use my new mini until i get a display so help! What are the good and bad things about these old 2002 type displays?

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
personally i like them, but they run hotter, the backligh will be used, and the quality isnt quite the same as the new ones. Of the three options you are looking at id go with the 17" or 20" i think the 15" are to small for non laptops.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
The Good: They are stunning piece of industrial design. They look as good from the back (possibly even better) than they do from the front. The picture is sharp and bright and is a pleasure to the eyes.

The Bad: Not very adjustable, they are large (and heavy) and take up more room than they need. Very thick bezel making dual monitor set ups less than ideal. No firewire ports

If you can find one at a good price they are still worth buying. I do love my 20", but just understand there are reasons apple switched to the newer aluminum design.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
They are great displays. I had a 17" with my old Power Mac G4. If you can swing it, I recommend going ahead and getting a new Cinema display, though. They look even better and as others have said, the quality of the picture will be better.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Just wanted to say that I did get a 15" LCD plastic Apple Display for 110 bucks. Got a converter dvi/adc cable (what a huge piece of equipment... almost the size of my mini!) and I am hugely surprised by how large the 15" is... not even sure if the 17" wouldn't be too big for my purposes...

Screen is very bright. I'm very happy. I guess I lucked out on a good screen. My new but discontinued silent upgrade mini is a little champ, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.