What Apple is actually doing

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iScheme, May 13, 2015.

1. iScheme macrumors member

Weird shipping patterns right?

Well lets put some perspective into it. Apple is a business correct? Yes, their primary goal is to make money for the shareholders. If apple were smart, and they obviously are, they would be shipping to countries that will provide the most return to their pocket books at the point in which they sell the product.

You may ask what I mean? What I mean is, the amount any given currency is worth at a specific time changes relative to other currencies. Apple is most likely charging whatever currency is the cheapest at the time they have "batches" so when its converted back into US dollars they make the most profit during the currency exchange.

At least what is what I would do.

Just my thoughts, feel free to disagree.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Apple doesn't repatriate profits for tax reasons. The money general stays in the country it is earned.

3. iScheme thread starter macrumors member

That's not true.

4. iScheme thread starter macrumors member

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yes, and Apple needs most importantly to make money in the US to pay dividends and operations. Apple has had to issue bonds (borrow money) in order to meet it's US cash needs.

However the whole argument is moot because the :apple:Watch is a microscopic blip on Apple's financials at this time.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/04/30/with-all-of-apples-cash-why-is-it-issuing-bonds/

6. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

Currency speculation is not Apple's business, and it's exposures are mostly hedged.

It's just that Apple had some watches ready before others. This is not like an iPhone where the only differences are color and size. The Black SS Link is nearly a completely different product than the Sport.

7. iScheme thread starter macrumors member

Apple's dividend is so low in my opinion. Hope they start doing excellent buy backs and dividend increases. Doubt any of this will happen until interest rates are raised though.

8. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

They are. Launch countries were Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, the UK and the US. That is where Apple has identified the largest pools of potential customers. Legal or not, saving a buck here and there doesn't do much if you only sell half as many units.

9. whatos macrumors 6502a

It's excruciating for Apple Disciples to be exposed to truths about the company that maintains nearly perfect control over their image. The thought that Apple might not be as ethical as they portend is beyond comprehension. One of Steve Jobs true strengths was smoke and mirrors image control. Now faced with his absence, Apple is in for the ride of their life as they try to maintain the secrecy.

10. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

A corporation the size of Apple will never maintain profitability (let alone the levels they achieve) by always acting ethically. What is and is not ethical in business terms is highly debatable anyway, with the exception of the treatment of employees.

Whether through the desire of the management team (who have some latitude as a result of Apple's profitability) or simply for the sake of marketing, Apple has made some ethically sound decisions in recent years which do not reflect prevalent industry standards or trends. One can applaud those without being blind to the harm being done by Apple or any other company as a result of its operations.

Ultimately it is for governments and other regulators to define the limits that businesses must work within where the market does not take account of important social or environmental costs. Expecting companies to 'do the right thing' sadly doesn't work.

11. bdobsonca macrumors newbie

My thoughts are I disagree, 100%, on everything you said. Conspiracy nonsense.

12. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

It would appear that you troll every thread for every opportunity to bash Apple. Your reasons for hating Apple are your own and probably of new interest to anyone else.

But what is really disturbing about you is that you also enjoy bashing and trying to demean everyone who likes and supports Apple. I'd also like to know what gives you the power and knowledge to speak to what Jobs would and wouldn't do?

13. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

They're counting thei billions as people cry about waiting for items they haven't been charged for

14. Che Castro macrumors 603

his been trolling for a while

15. iScheme thread starter macrumors member

I find it quite sad that rod and another individual in this thread looked through my recent posts to dig up this thread from 4 days ago. Good god, let it die.

16. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

As a result of another thread that you started I was curious to see what else you had posted. When reading this thread I saw a comment I decided to respond to. I don't see the problem.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Who is to decide what is ethical?

To the consumer a company may not seem to be ethical, to the company they are. Each has their own view.

18. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

You rather stepped on my point there.

19. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Sorry hope it did not leave a print.

20. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Corporations have no concept of ethics. They were created solely to make money while protecting their ethical or non-ethical management from legal action.

21. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

Since they are abstract entities they don't have a concept of anything. Many people do have a concept of ethics, and since they run corporations that can influence decisions that are made. It's also important to distinguish between publicly listed and private companies; the latter are often run in line with the values or ethics of the owner(s), even if their primary purpose is profit.

22. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

that's called a conflict of interest.

23. whatos macrumors 6502a

Apparently varying opinions that don't fall in line with yours trigger you to come unhinged, make assumptions, call names and launch personal attacks. Out in the general population that's immature behavior. It's also revealing of your mindset.

I find those who have the self control to enter into sensible discussions, make forums like this very useful.

MacRumors is a fine forum for those of us that don't take things personally but simply share "observations." A word some may fail to comprehend.