What apple may bring before fall

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
1,879
0
'Ol Smokey, UK
Ok,
so we know that tiger is just around the corner, but what are your views on potential updates (big or small) of hardware and software that we may see in the next six months. And also (just for fun), what are you hoping for?
 

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
761
0
West Monroe, Louisiana
you should know that everyone wants a G5 PB and dual 3.0s, but I would personally like to see a little lower display prices (because i'm cheap) and maybe a revival of the newton so i can rid myself of windoze forever...
 

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
1,596
8
NH
student_trap said:
Ok,
so we know that tiger is just around the corner, but what are your views on potential updates (big or small) of hardware and software that we may see in the next six months. And also (just for fun), what are you hoping for?
1. Upgraded iMac G5's in April
2. Upgraded iBooks in April
3. Upgraded eMacs in April
4. New PowerMac dual core G5's in June
6. New PowerBook dual core G4's in October.
 

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,238
4
i still would like to see a cheap widescreen 17" monitor, although i know its just wishful thinking, to go even lower a 15" would be cool as well

cover all your bases apple!!


(i know it will never happen though)
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,568
0
We should also see an updated Mac mini by that time also. Wonder when Steve will first introduce us to Mac OS 10.5?
 

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,238
4
wdlove said:
We should also see an updated Mac mini by that time also. Wonder when Steve will first introduce us to Mac OS 10.5?
i dont expect to hear anything about 10.5 until WWDC '06, maybe MWSF '06, but thats not likely in this sort of time frame, remember, its going to be two years or so at least before we get 10.5
 

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
395
0
keysersoze said:
1. Upgraded iMac G5's in April
2. Upgraded iBooks in April
3. Upgraded eMacs in April
4. New PowerMac dual core G5's in June
6. New PowerBook dual core G4's in October.
This sounds reasonable, except maybe the iBooks. 3 Updates in one month (along with Tiger introduction) seems a bit much.

I'm hoping for PMs in May, but probably not. Maybe iBooks in May?

Also, anyone think either the next ibook or powerbook revisions will sport widescreens? Maybe even HD widescreen on the powerbook.
 

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
2,294
0
Huntsville, AL
keysersoze said:
6. New PowerBook dual core G4's in October.
Assuming this to be true, I hope I can pull enough overtime over the summer to foot that bill. :)

Of course ... selling my current powerbook (but keeping the RAM) will help with that, as will my Edu discount, but it's still going to put a big dent in my wallet.
 

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
2,211
0
Chi-il
ChrisBrightwell said:
Assuming this to be true, I hope I can pull enough overtime over the summer to foot that bill. :)

Of course ... selling my current powerbook (but keeping the RAM) will help with that, as will my Edu discount, but it's still going to put a big dent in my wallet.
I don't know why you'd keep your RAM. Whatever Apple comes out with it's sure to utilize different RAM if the processor structure is different.
 

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
2,072
28
Washington, DC
Maybe also an update to the minis by fall? I'd love to see an option for a nicer graphics card in the minis. I realize that will never happen, though.
 

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
3,186
3
Manchester, UK
ibook mini in april with any luck.

10 inch widescreen (1280x600) and the same spec as this 1.33GHz 12" powerbook but without the optical drive. priced around £550.

and, dreaming now, a pcmcia slot for a Echo Indigo DJ. clearly this bit aint gonna happen

that'd be very nice :)
 

Beck446

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
132
0
keysersoze said:
1. Upgraded iMac G5's in April
2. Upgraded iBooks in April
3. Upgraded eMacs in April
4. New PowerMac dual core G5's in June
6. New PowerBook dual core G4's in October.

Not bad. However, I'd say iBooks aren't going to happen until powerbooks get updated. And I would be expecting new Powermacs any day now, especially after Tiger is announced on April 1.

As far as screens go, I expect a 17" display, which is absolutely necessary since the announcement of the Mini. If you look at the strategy behind the introduction of the Mini and the rumors about a two button mouse, it is clear that Apple is going after a broad market aggresively. Additionally, we can expect HD technology to make it in to Powerbook screens at the next update.


iSight is going to be updated too

Finally, you forgot iMacs, which should have a modest update in the next two months.

All in all, it's going to be an exciting three months for us.
 

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
2,294
0
Huntsville, AL
aricher said:
I don't know why you'd keep your RAM. Whatever Apple comes out with it's sure to utilize different RAM if the processor structure is different.
Eh -- I'm not so sure if I'd go that far out on the limb.

Perhaps I should've included the (what I thought to be obvious) disclaimer that, IF IT IS COMPATIBLE, I'll keep the RAM.

*shrug*
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.