What Apple needs to work on...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rookbird, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Rookbird macrumors member

Rookbird

What Apple really needs to work on is Siri. Right now it's pretty useless. I try and use it to send a text and it is so frustrating. Most of the time I have to correct way to much of the texts. Siri gets it wrong a lot. Yet voice recognition is the future of electronic device interaction. What they need to build is a Siri chip. Get rid of having to use the internet to use Siri. Voice interaction is too important. It needs its own chip. It is VERY possible to build a voice recognition chip right now that would accelerate the advancement of Siri to where it's accuracy would be WAY better than it is now. That's what Apple needs to build. It would set their products apart from the competition and they need that right now.

2. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

I do agree that Siri would be better if it didn't require a internet connection to work. However, I would say 99% of the time Siri works great for me.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Siri handles tasking really well (I.e Schedule, messages, E-mail, etc.) Siri needs revamping with dictation/deciphering mainly. But with the right tweaking, it has full potential to be the best.

4. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Siri is garbage. I rarely use it and when I do, it's just disappointing. Google does a much better job with their Google Assistant.

5. Rookbird thread starter macrumors member

Rookbird

I agree. The tasking works pretty well but the dictation is what frustrates me. I don't get very good accuracy.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Google Voice has greatly improved over Siri in these last two years. I use Google Voice quite frequently.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I depend and use Siri all the time. Is it perfect, no, but it works like 9 out of 10 times for me.

I do not use Google anymore.

8. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

Siri has improved quite a fair bit for me. When it works, it's amazing and transcribes my dictated text perfectly. When it fails, almost every word is wrong, it's hilarious. Still a vast improvement compared to when it first debuted with the 4s, but still a very long way to go.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Same with me. I use Siri daily and have no issues 90-95% of the time.

10. Jessica08 macrumors regular

Jessica08

It's better than it used to be IMO. It's still hard at times for it to pick up on my southern accent, but I only use it to send short/simple texts or to ask scores to games or what's the weather. I agree it needs to be improved.

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Maybe Siri picks up on our southern accents better since T.Cook is an Alabama native. :)

12. nav92 macrumors member

nav92

I agree. Siri could learn a few tricks from it's rivals but I love to use it to set reminders from the Watch. The only thing which I use it for on a common basis.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Just being able to tell Siri to add something to the grocery list is priceless for me.

14. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Works great for me. I primarily use Siri in CarPlay and no complaints here.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

You probably mean something other than Google Voice (the phone service). Perhaps Google Now, or Google Assistant, or something like that?

16. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

Other day I asked Siri to find me an auto parts store near by and it came up with one window tinting place. I opened the Google app and asked it and it found 4 auto parts stores near by.

Today I asked Siri how many seasons of mythbusters where there,....

It said it Hmm, I'm not finding anything on that.
    It just doesn't work as well as it should at this point.

17. fatalogic macrumors regular

fatalogic

I just switched from android and I just though the Siri complaints were overblown but honestly it is way behind google now/assistant. Google does way better with recognition and overall consistency.

18. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

It's unfortunate And true. Siri has fallen behind. And I say this, being I appreciate Siri. I do think Apple is working on Siri to improve her. At least from previous articles have indicated this.

19. Rookbird thread starter macrumors member

Rookbird

I think they are working on it too but I don't think they are giving it the attention that it really should get.

Apple needs something to set them apart from the competition and if they were too really advance Siri that would set them apart. Right now they are starting to just blend in with everyone else.

20. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Agreed. At least not in terms of what Google
    Has been investing with Google Voice/Google Assistant.