What Apple should have done?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iBrooker, Jan 9, 2017.

1. iBrooker macrumors 6502

On one side of the new MBPs, use a custom mag-safe type connector (let's call it MagSafeNew) which is essentially the same as the current TWO usb-c ports. And ship it with a MagSafeNew to two usb-c adapter.

Why?

Monitor manufactures (or hub makers) could use these to create a true one connection dock - just snap the connector and you get twice as much bandwidth as you do now. People who want 4 ports still get that with the supplied adapter if they so wish.

This would have been Amazing :D

(In case you are not aware, connecting devices to a display such as the LG 5K UF results in capped speeds of its three usb-c ports - so it's not a true hub - but this is due to the limitation of a single connection, two would eradicate the issue).

Good idea? Or pants? :apple:

2. hawkeye_a macrumors 6502a

hawkeye_a

Here's something that might be worthy of a poll.

What if Apple had the *option* for the touchbar(with additional), which would be more popular?

I found it kind of gimmikey personally, would have preferred a lower price.

They should have kept MagSafe in some way. I will definitely miss the functionality.

Magsafe and headphone port on one side and USB-C(full power) on the other.

3. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Kind of hard to tell what you mean but I think you were indicating some kind of magnetic connector for data bandwidth? If so that's a really bad idea, you don't want anything that can easily fall apart handling data. Magsafe works with power and power only.

4. honeybadger1022 macrumors member

honeybadger1022

Exactly, people keep referring to some kind of magnetic technology that can serve the same USB-C/Thunderbolt purposes, but neglect to see how having and easily to disconnect data stream can easily lead to issues and head aches. I've been a big fan of the all USB-C and if you miss the old mag safe check out the Griffin cable. I have one and it makes up for the loss.

5. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

6. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

Yeah MagSafe is pretty awesome. Apple should have kept it.

Would anyone have minded 4 USB-C and a MagSafe?

7. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

This would NOT have been amazing......I call "pants".