What Apple TV should have

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Pagemakers, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Apple TV should have a pass through HDMI connector and an app called "pass through". When the pass through app is selected ATV displays whatever is connected the the pass through - Cable box, satellite etc.

Then, this would allow us to keep the TV always on the ATV input and you wouldn't have to keep switching TV inputs when you want to airplay something from your iOS device, watch Netflix or back to regular TV for example.

2. linds15 macrumors 6502a

arguably any device should have this. also new some new TVs enable whatever input is being sent a signal, as do some receivers.

3. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

I don't get what you are saying!

If your TV is on the cable input and for a few seconds you want to airplay a YouTube video, you currently have to turn on ATV and swap inputs. If your TV does this automatically, you'd still have to turn ATV on and off. If ATV had a pass through connector you would never have to do this and you could airplay at any time without having to do anything.

4. KylePowers, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I do this with my Xbox One, it's awesome. Except I plug in my Mac Mini for Plex, and not a cable/satellite box.

"Xbox, watch TV" --> Switches to HDMI-in --> Watching Plex whilst still being able to get notifications via Xbox Live, download things in the background, search for matches, etc.

Although I have tried it with a cable box once, and the guide overlay and voice features were quite impressive (e.g. "Xbox, go to ESPN" and the channel automagically changes to ESPN).

EDIT: Pretty much if AppleTV implemented the same features the Xbox One has, it'd be pretty sweet. Voice control via Siri, and perhaps an embedded camera to FaceTime (of course your AppleTV would have to be visible).

5. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

It would be great when you just fancied a bit of iphone streaming or Netflix you didn't have to fiddle about switching inputs and turning things on and off.

If your TV channel was permanently connected to the ATV input life would be so much more seamless.